Agenda Item No
Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 17 December 2012
Report of the Leader
Outcome Agreement 2010-2013
Purpose of the Report
1. To advise members of achievement of the Outcome Agreement that was negotiated with the Welsh Government (WG) in 2010.
1. That members note the achievement of the Outcome Agreement funding and note the amendments to the Agreement.
2. That members receive a further report in January regarding the likely achievement of targets for 2012/13.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. In order to commend officers for the achievement of the funding and to monitor progress in the current financial year.
2. In order to effectively monitor achievement of targets.
2. The council entered into three previous agreements with the Welsh Assembly Government (Policy Agreements in 2001-04 and 2004-07 and an Improvement Agreement in 2008-2010). These agreements were based on the premise that the council and WG share common objectives and that agreements could be entered into to assist in achieving these objectives. WG paid a grant to the council to incentivise achievement of targets, to the value of £1.254 million annually. The current Outcome Agreement was signed in February 2011, for the period 2010 - 2013 and revised slightly in August 2011. Amendments were forwarded to the welsh Government following consideration by Cabinet on 1 October 2012.
3. An incentive grant is paid on a sliding scale based on the extent to which actions and measures have been achieved, and the Council must be able to evidence collaboration in order to secure 100% of the grant. Evidence must be provided annually for each activity/measure to show progress to receive the incentive grant.
4. The agreement sets out actions and performance targets for three years. A report on the actions and measures for 2010-11 achieved 100% of the incentive grant (£1.254 million).
Relevant Issues and Options
5. At its meeting on 17 September 2012, Cabinet received a report on achievement of the agreement for 2011/12. Confirmation from the Welsh Government has now been received that 100% of the grant has been achieved (see appendix A). In addition, all proposed amendments to the agreement (considered by Cabinet on 1 October 2012) have been agreed.
6. Several targets have been amended in the Agreement for the current financial year; a considerable revision was required in objective 5 (learning objectives are of a high quality) due to the implementation of the Joint Education Service.
7. Rapidly changing funding regimes have also impacted on our ability to achieve a number of the targets originally agreed.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
8. The council has received £1.254 million from the Welsh Government. The grant is entirely unhypothecated and is paid into the general funds of the council.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
9. There are a number of targets and actions that will contribute to: ensuring a strong, healthy and just society; achieving a sustainable economy; living within environmental limits; and promoting good governance.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
10. Improvement agreements have no basis in statute. They are therefore voluntary in nature and there are no sanctions relating to non-achievement of targets, apart from the loss of financial incentive.
Crime and Disorder Implications
11. There are no activities/indicators in the agreement that relate to crime and disorder.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
12. There are no activities/indicators contained in the proposed agreement that relate to improving equalities outcomes.
13. The agreement links to the council’s objective of community leadership, and assists in focusing the council’s activities on national objectives. The council and WG jointly negotiate the targets contained within the agreement.
Policy Framework and Budget
14. The Outcome Agreement is a matter of Executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
15. Senior officers of the council responsible for the achievement of targets and actions, along with the Corporate Management Team, have been consulted on the content of the report.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
16. Corporate Resources
Prospectus for Outcome Agreements, Welsh Assembly Government.
Beverly Noon, Operational Manager - Corporate Policy and Communications
Tel: 01446 709746
Head of Performance and Improvement
Officers listed as responsible officers within the agreement
Sian Davies, Managing Director