Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 08 May 2013
Report of the Leader
Former Sixth Form Site, Cowbridge
Purpose of the Report
1. To advise Cabinet of the status of the former Cowbridge Comprehensive School Sixth Form site.
1. That Cabinet note the report.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. In order to ensure that members are aware of the position regarding the former Sixth Form site in Cowbridge.
2. The Sixth Form site in Cowbridge was vacated when pupils moved into the new single site school for Cowbridge Comprehensive School. The site was marketed but this did not lead to a disposal.
3. The intention was for any proceeds from the sale to be used to fund the School Investment Programme.
Relevant Issues and Options
4. Subsequent investigations into the deed for the site have revealed that a Trust in relation to the Sixth Form site was imposed by a 1894 Conveyance of the land. The relevant Scheme dates from 1912 and provides that the land is to be used for the purposes of a Secondary School. Following the discontinuance of use of the site for school purposes the terms of the Trust have failed in total. Research and consultations with the Charity Commission have confirmed this position.
5. It will be necessary for the Council as current Trustee to apply to the Commissioners for a new Scheme (given the failure of the objects of the existing 1912 Scheme). The way forward in this regard will be the subject of a report to the Trust Committee.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
6. The Council will not have the benefit of sale proceeds of the site and for use in the School Investment Programme.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
7. There are no Sustainability and Climate Change Implications.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
8. The Council in its capacity as Trustee is required to comply with the provisions of the Charities Act 2011.
Crime and Disorder Implications
9. There are no Crime and Disorder Implications arising from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
10. There are no Equal Opportunities Implications.
11. As the Sixth Form site is subject to the provisions of a Trust the objectives of the Corporate Plan/Service Plan are not applicable.
Policy Framework and Budget
12. Not Applicable.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
Relevant Scrutiny Committee