Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 9 September 2013
Report of the Cabinet Member for Children's Services
Additional Learning and Skills Building Asset Renewal Schemes, 2013/14
Purpose of the Report
1. To gain Cabinet’s approval for additional schemes to be included in the 2013/14 capital programme
1. That the proposed schemes as listed in Appendix A are approved and included within the 2013/14 capital programme.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To prevent the possibility of school closures, due to the failure of elements of the buildings that are currently known to be in poor condition, the schemes have been brought forward to this year and to enable the procurement process to proceed.
2. A number of school buildings have significant condition issues which could lead to school closures and the need for costly and disruptive emergency work if left unattended.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. A prioritised list of schemes has been drawn up by officers from the Learning and Skills Directorate in consultation with the Property Section by adopting the following criteria and processes.
· Extracting from completed Property Condition Surveys works that have been identified as high priority status.
· Utilising an existing backlog list of prioritised schemes which has been reviewed and updated throughout the year.
· Feedback from regular meetings between officers from both Property and Building Services sections who have first-hand knowledge of many of the properties.
4. The proposed additional programme is shown in Appendix A attached to this report.
5. Should any significant developments occur resulting in the omission of a scheme, the inclusion of an additional scheme or a virement, the Director of Resources, in consultation with the Leader, has the authority to implement such changes to the programme.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
6. The schemes totalling £650,000 are to be funded from the Policy budget (capital expenditure funded from revenue).
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
7. The installation of high efficiency condensing boilers and re-roofing schemes incorporating increased levels of insulation will reduce the energy consumption and carbon dioxide emissions from these schools.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
8. There are no direct implications as a result of this report
Crime and Disorder Implications
9. There are no direct implications as a result of this report
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
10. There are no direct implications as a result of this report
11. To improve the condition of Council’s property stock
Policy Framework and Budget
12. This report is a matter for Executive decision by the Cabinet
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
13. Consultation has taken place with relevant Officers and building users. Ward member consultation is not required as this report refers to schools within a number of wards.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
14. Corporate Resources
Mark Haynes - School Organisation and Buildings Manager
Paula Ham - Head of Strategic Planning and Performance
Jane Wade – Operational Manager, Property
Jennifer Hill – Chief Learning and Skills Officer