Agenda Item No.
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
CABINET: 10TH FEBRUARY, 2014
REFERENCE FROM SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (CORPORATE RESOURCES): 21ST JANUARY, 2014
CAPITAL MONITORING: 1ST APRIL TO 30TH NOVEMBER 2013 (MD) –
Details of financial progress on the Capital Programme as at 30th November 2013 were appended to the report. Details were contained within the report under the following headings as summarised below:
· Learning and Skills
- Albert Primary School Emergency Works to Ceilings – request to vire £35,000 from the Education Asset Renewal Contingency Budget
- Barry Comprehensive Boiler House Remedial Works – request to vire £10,000 from Bryn Hafren Boiler Replacement
- High Street Ceiling Overboarding – anticipated cost of the scheme was £25,000 and would be funded by the following virements:
- Transfer of £9,000 from High Street Boiler Replacement
- Transfer of £6,000 from Gwenfo Primary School Boiler
- Transfer of £10,000 from Romilly Primary Replacement of Cast Iron Gutters
- Romilly Ceiling Overboarding – anticipated cost of the scheme was £30,000 and to be funded by the following virements:
- Transfer of £7,000 from slippage for Ysgol Sant Baruc Overboard Ceilings
- Transfer of £17,000 from slippage from Pendoylan School Remodelling
- Transfer of £6,000 from Bryn Hafren Boiler Replacement
- Ysgol Sant Curig Rebuild Deteriorating Masonry and Emergency Overboarding – anticipated cost of the scheme was £59,000 with the scheme to be funded by the following virements:
- Transfer of £20,000 from Barry Comprehensive Main Block Roof
- Transfer of £19,000 from Ysgol Sant Baruc Overboard Ceilings
- Ysgol Nant Talwg – the Welsh Government had recently issued its allocation for 21st Century Schools Funding and it confirmed subject to completion of a business case to the Welsh Government a grant funding of £1.2 million which had been allocated to the scheme for 2013/14. This was an increase of £200,000 on the initial 2013/14 budget but was a rephasing of grant rather than an additional grant so it was requested that the 2013/14 capital budget be increased by £200,000 and the 2014/15 capital budget be reduced by £200,000 to reflect the funding reprofiling.
· Visible Services and Housing
- Flood Risk Management – a request to delay funding for the following Flood Risk Management Schemes until 2014/15 and include the said schemes in the 2014/15 Capital Budget:
- Flood Risk Management at Boverton - £250,000 to provide match funding if Welsh Government approve the proposed scheme
- Flood Risk Management at Coldbrook - £138,000 to provide match funding required for increased construction costs.
- Gileston to Old Mill – request to increase Capital Programme by £2.750m funding approved by Welsh Government for the construction phase scheme.
- Housing Improvement Plan – request for a number of virements to amend budget to reflect the amount set out in Appendix E to the Housing Business Plan which was previously approved by the Cabinet on 2nd December 2013 (C2113 refers).
- Emergency Contingency Works – virement requested to fund the following schemes: Spawling concrete – survey and safety work £10,000; Llantwit Major Housing Lights £1,000; Retaining Wall Laleston Close, Gibbonsdown £12,500 and New Landlords Supply 93 Glebe Street - £5,000.
· Development Services
- Regional Transport Consortia (SEWTA) – additional funding had been offered as set out below to ensure that this funding was spent within the financial year 2013/14 and it being noted that this had been built into the Capital Programme for 2013/14 using the Managing Director’s Emergency Powers:
- £3,000 for development of Road Safety Capital Schemes
- £14,000 for Bus Stop upgrades on A48
- £13,000 for additional Greenlinks Transport Minibus
- £24,000 for an additional Greenlinks Transport Minibus and accessible car.
In addition to the above funding further funding of £36,000 had been awarded towards the cost of the Railway Walk Cycle Scheme. This totalled the award for 2013/14 to £220,000.
- Rights of Way Improvement Plan (ROWIP) – following approval of additional funding by Natural Resources Wales of £30,400 to cover the following projects:
- £8,000 to fund preparation of new definitive map, analysis and reporting of CAMS data
- £3,500 to fund creation and improvement of Public Rights of Way Links
- £12,500 to fund a review and support annual clearance arrangements
- £2,500 to improve the path through public wildlife trust reserve by installing drainage
- £2,000 to establish a focus group to develop and deliver improvements for low use groups
- £1,900 to establish Barry Heart Walk
- Wales Coast Path Development Programme – request to increase Capital Programme by £22,500 for Grant Funding allocated by Natural Resources Wales.
- Space Project Reduced Office Accommodation – request to vire budget from Dock Office Mechanical and Electrical – £10,000 and Dock Office Ground Floor Toilet and Kitchen Refurbishment - £48,000 to the Space Project Office Accommodation. The revised Space Project Budget for 2013/14 would be £420,000.
Details in relation to the following schemes (having a value of £500,000) with a variance of 20% or more between actual spend to date and profiled spend were also contained within the report:
· Penarth Learning Community – the scheme was currently in construction phase and progressing well. Amendments to programming / sequencing of works had resulted in actual expenditure currently exceeding the initial spend profile. This did not adversely affect the final cost.
· Vehicles Renewal Fund – expenditure had been slightly behind the profile due to second hand vehicles being purchased in year and some items of expenditure being delayed pending the outcome of decisions regarding future revenue services.
RECOMMENDED – T H A T the following recommendations be endorsed and be referred to Cabinet for approval, noting recommendation (2) was for referral to Council:
(1) T H A T the following changes to the 2013/14 Capital Programme be approved:
· Virement of £35,000 from the Education Asset Renewal contingency fund for emergency works at Albert Primary School.
· Virement of £10,000 from Bryn Hafren Boiler Replacement to fund Barry Comprehensive Boiler House Remedial Works.
· Virements: transfer £9,000 from High Street Replace Boiler Replacement, transfer £6,000 from Gwenfo Primary School Boiler and transfer £10,000 from Romilly Primary Replace Cast Iron Gutters to fund High Street Ceiling Overboarding.
· Virements: transfer £7,000 from slippage for Ysgol Sant Baruc Overboard Ceilings, transfer £17,000 from slippage from Pendoylan School Remodelling and transfer £16,000 from Bryn Hafren Boiler Replacement to fund Romilly Primary Ceiling Overboarding.
· Virements: transfer £20,000 from Barry Comprehensive Main Block Roof and transfer £19,000 from Ysgol Sant Baruc Overboard Ceilings to fund Ysgol Sant Curig Rebuild Deteriorating Masonry and Emergency Overboarding.
· Virements to reflect the changes to the Housing Improvement Plan shown in the Housing Business Plan which was reported to Cabinet on 2nd December 2013 (Minute C2113).
· Virement of £15,000 from Emergency Contingency Works to fund the following schemes; Spawling concrete / survey and safety work £10,000, Llantwit Major Housing Lights £1,000, £12,500 Retaining Wall Laleston Close, Gibbonsdown, and New Landlords Supply 93 Glebe Street £5,000.
· Virement of budgets from Dock Office Mechanical and Electrical £10,000 and Dock Office Ground Floor Toilet and Kitchen Refurbishment £48,000 to the Space Project Office Accommodation budget.
(2) T H A T the Cabinet be requested to recommend to Council the following changes to the 2013/14 Capital Programme:
· Increase the 2013/14 Capital Programme for an additional £200,000 funding from Welsh Government for Ysgol Nant Talwg brought forward from 2014/15, and reduce the 2014/15 Capital Programme by £200,000 to reflect the change in funding profile.
· Delay funding for Flood Risk Management schemes at Boverton £250,000 and Coldbrook £138,000 until 2014/15 and include these schemes in the 2014/15 Capital Budget.
· Increase Capital Programme by £2.750 million funding approved by Welsh Government for Construction phase of Gileston to Old Mill scheme.
· Increase the 2013/14 Capital Programme by £35,500 awarded towards the cost of the Railway Walk Cycle Scheme by Regional Transport Consortia (SEWTA).
· Increase the 2013/14 Capital Programme £30,400 awarded by Natural Resources Wales by for the Rights of Way Improvement Programme.
· Increase 2013/14 (£8,500) and 2014/15 (£14,000) Capital Programmes for funding Wales Coast Path Development Programme approved by Natural Resources Wales.
Reason for recommendations
(1&2) To allow schemes to proceed in the current and future financial years.â
Attached as Appendix – Report to Scrutiny Committee (Corporate Resources): 21st January 2014