Agenda Item No.
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
CABINET: 28TH APRIL, 2014
REFERENCE FROM SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (CORPORATE RESOURCES): 18TH MARCH, 2014
972 CAPITAL MONITORING FOR THE PERIOD 1ST APRIL, 2013 TO 31ST JANUARY, 2014 (MD) -
Details as to the financial progress on the Capital Programme up to 31st January, 2014 were appended to the report. The Head of Financial Services referred to paragraphs 6 - 20 of the report which contained explanations from the relevant officers of those schemes where it was evident that the full year’s budget would not be spent during the year.
In noting the £107,000 savings in relation to the demolition of St. Cyres Comprehensive School, the Committee was informed that this money would be rolled into the School Improvement Programme.
A Member of the Committee made reference to the Vehicle Replacement Programme and queried why the amount that was to be carried forward to 2014/15 was different to the figure previously presented at the last Scrutiny Committee meeting. The Head of Financial Services indicated that the difference related to further changes made to the original proposals in respect of the Vehicle Replacement Programme and this had included additional slippage monies that had been identified due to ongoing service reconfiguration.
RECOMMENDED - T H A T the following recommendations be endorsed and be referred to Cabinet for approval, noting recommendation (2) was for referral to Council:
(1) T H A T the following changes to the 2013/14 Capital Programme
· Various Schools Legionella Control Works - Request to vire £8,000 from Romilly Dry Rot Eradication.
· Hen Goleg Lift and Kitchen Works - Request to vire funding totalling £19,569 as follows; (Castle Avenue External Structural Works £8,367, Rondell House Boiler Replacement £4,212,. Demolition of Bryneithin £5,000, Day care re-configuration - Rondell House - £1,990).
· WHQS - Rewires - Request to vire £1240k from WHQS Roof Renewals.
· Voids - Non WHQS Works - Request to vire £475k from the WHQS Non Traditional Properties scheme.
· WHQS - Bathrooms -Request to vire £900k from WHQS Non Traditional properties £525k, WHQS - Roof Renewals £60k and WHQS - Kitchen Replacements £315k.
· Emergency Contingency Budget - Request to vire £190,225 from the Housing Improvement Programme Emergency Contingency Budget to fund a number of schemes as set out in paragraph 16.
· Dock Offices - external repairs - Request to vire £2,812 from Dock Offices - Replace Defective Rainwater and Waste Pipes scheme.
(2) T H A T Cabinet recommend to Council the following changes to the 2013/14 Capital Programme:
· Penarth Learning Community - Request to increase the budget by £902k in 2013/14 to be funded from increased Welsh Government grant brought forward from 2014/15.
· Penarth Learning Community - Request to revise the funding of the Penarth Learning Community scheme in 2013/14 by increasing the Welsh Government funding by £8m and reducing the Council and S106 funding in year by £8m.
· Llancarfan Demountable - Request to carry forward £5,465
· High Street Primary Boiler Renewal - Request to carry forward £1,022
· Gwenfo Boiler Renewal - Request to carry forward £690
· Fairfield Boiler Renewal - Request to carry forward £2,694
· Woodlands ATC Demolition - Request to carry forward £45k of funding
· Rondell House Boiler Replacement - Request to carry forward £788
· Vehicle Replacement Programme - Request to carry forward £369k to 2014/15 Capital Programme
· Skatepark at Paget Road - Request to carry forward £31,965
· Barry Regeneration Partnership Project Development Fund - Request to carry forward £120k
· Barry Regeneration Partnership Project Development Fund - Routes into Enterprise - Request to carry forward £5k
· Data Centre at the Civic Offices - Request to carry forward £420k
· Security Software Data Loss Prevention - Request to carry forward £120k.
Reason for recommendations
(1&2) To allow schemes to proceed in the current or future financial years.
Attached as Appendix - Report to Scrutiny Committee (Corporate Resources): 18th March, 2014