Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 28 July, 2014
Report of the Leader
Community Action Self Help (CASH) Scheme 2014/15
Purpose of the Report
1. To seek the views of Cabinet on the awarding of CASH grants.
1. That grants be approved as set out at Appendix "A".
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To progress grants in accordance with the approved scheme.
2. The Community Action Self Help Scheme (C.A.S.H.) provides funding to Town and Community Councils to undertake capital schemes of their choice within their own area. This is an important feature of the Council’s aims to work in partnership with Town and Community Councils and to target resources to all communities within the Vale.
3. Technical assistance from officers is available to Town and Community Councils during the design and implementation of their schemes.
Relevant Issues and Options
4. Details of the applications received together with the grants recommended are set out at Appendix "A" to this report.
5. The scheme's "Conditions and Criteria" is set out at Appendix B to this report. When approving grant applications Cabinet should ensure that the relevant criteria are being met and the purposes for which the grants are awarded are in accordance with the Council’s priorities.
6. Schemes must be completed within the financial year 2014/15, are limited to a ceiling of £15,000 for any one Community or Town Council and satisfactory quotations must be obtained. In addition, the Council will need to be satisfied that the Community / Town Council is able to meet all future revenue costs.
7. It has not been possible for all the applicants to fully comply with the need for full details and quotations at this stage. Any grants allocated are "in principle only". Only when conditions are met will final approval be issued for work to begin on a scheme.
8. Unless otherwise indicated, the balance of funding for any project will be provided by the Community Council making the application.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, as appropriate)
9. £30,000 has been included in the 2014/15 Capital Programme for the CASH grant scheme. The total value of grants recommended for approval in this report amounts to £26,000.
10. The responsibility for approving the allocations has been delegated to the Director of Resources, Head of Finance in consultation with the relevant Cabinet Member.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
11. It is a condition of the CASH scheme that the Town or Community Council is responsible for ensuring that works are undertaken in accordance with current health and safety legislation and that sufficient insurance cover is obtained prior to the commencement of works.
Crime and Disorder Implications
12. There are no Crime and Disorder Implications arising out of this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
13. There are no Equal Opportunities Implications arising out of this report.
14. Funding support to Community and Town Council's in accordance with the Council's corporate objectives.
Policy Framework and Budget
15. This is a matter for Executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
16. No consultation or Ward Member Consultation has taken place as the subject matter of the report is not Ward specific
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
17. Corporate Resources
Grant application forms and supporting paperwork.
Tel: 01446 709252.