Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 22 September 2014
Report of the Leader
Capital Monitoring Report for the period 1st April to 31st July 2014
Purpose of the Report
1. To advise Cabinet of the progress on the 2014/15 Capital Programme for the period 1st April 2014 to 31st July 2014.
2. To gain Cabinet’s approval for additional schemes to be included in the Capital Programme.
It is recommended that Cabinet :-
1. Note the position with regard to the 2014/15 Capital Programme.
2. Increase the 2014/15 Capital Programme by £600k to cover additional Education Asset Renewal schemes and request that scheme details are reported to a future Cabinet.
3. Amend the Capital Programme to include the Welsh Government grant for the Culverhouse Cross to St Athan via Airport Bus Priority Measures scheme by £75k in 2014/15 and £80k in 2015/16.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To allow members to be aware of progress on the Capital Programme.
2-3 To increase the 2014/15 Capital Programme.
3. Council on the 5th March 2014 minute no 883 approved the Capital Programme for 2014/15 onwards.
Relevant Issues and Options
4. Appendix 1 details financial progress on the Capital Programme as at 31st July 2014.
5. For all schemes where it is evident that the full year's budget will not be spent during the year, the relevant officers are required to provide an explanation for the shortfall and this shall be taken to the earliest available Cabinet.
6. A number of school buildings have condition issues which could lead to school closures and the need for costly and disruptive emergency work if left unattended. It is therefore proposed that the 2014/15 capital programme is increased by £600k to cover these works.
7. To ensure the most effective use of this funding, a prioritised list of schemes will be drawn up by officers from the Learning and Skills Directorate, in consultation with the Property Section and will be reported to a future Cabinet meeting.
Visible and Housing Services
8. The Housing Improvement Programme budget was agreed by Cabinet on 24th February 2014, minute number C2211. Recommendation 2 stated that T H A T the Director of Resources, in consultation with the Cabinet Member responsible for Finance, be given delegated authority to make additions, deletions or transfers to or from the 2014/15 to 2018/19 Housing Capital Programme as appropriate". In order to update the programme of works for the year, a delegated authority was approved during August 2014 and the budgets shown in Appendix 1 reflect these changes.
9. Culverhouse Cross to St Athan via Airport Bus Priority Measures - A grant approval of £155k has been received from Welsh Government for a bus prioritisation scheme between Culverhouse Cross and St Athan, via the airport. The grant relates to the period August 2014 to August 2016, with £75k relating to 2014/15 and £80k relating to 2015/16. The funding is to undertake all necessary investigations and design work and for the procurement of a contractor to undertake the construction work. Further Welsh Government grant will be available to undertake the actual works. It is proposed that the Capital Programme is amended accordingly.
10. S106 Schemes - Emergency powers have been used to approve the inclusion of s106 monies into the Capital Programme as follows:
The Herberts £13,618
20mph Zone Llandough £20,000
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
11. The additional Education Asset Renewal schemes totalling £600,000 are to be funded from the existing Policy budget (capital expenditure funded from revenue).
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
12. There are no sustainability and climate change implications.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
13. There are no legal implications.
Crime and Disorder Implications
14. There are no crime and disorder implications.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
15. There are no equal opportunity implications.
16. Effective monitoring assists in the provision of accurate and timely information to officers and Members and in particular allows services to better manage their resources.
Policy Framework and Budget
17. This report is a matter for Executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
18. Each Scrutiny Committee will receive a monitoring report on their respective areas. This report does not require Ward Member consultation.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Operational Manager Accountancy
The Directors of Resources, Social Services, Development Services, Visible Services and Housing, and Learning and Skills.