The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 27 July, 2015
Report of the Leader
Christmas Grants 2015
Purpose of the Report
1. To seek Cabinet's approval in the awarding of Christmas Grants for 2015.
1. That the sum to be made available to each Town/Community Council that apply for Christmas CASH(Community Action Self Help) funding for 2015 will be £315.
2. The per capita sum to be made available to pensioner and similar organisations that apply for Christmas Lunches in 2015 will be £3.00.
3. That Delegated Authority be given to the Head of Finance in consultation with the relevant Cabinet Member to award CASH grants.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1-2. To award monies in accordance with the scheme.
3. To enable CASH grant applications to be processed.
4. In previous years Town/Community Councils have been requested to submit a suitable Christmas feature project for CASH funding. A sum of £475 per Town/Community Council was made available in 2014/15 and the total grant awarded was approximately £12,350.
5. Pensioner and similar organisations have been invited to apply for financial assistance towards provision of a Christmas Lunch for their members. The amount per capita in 2014/15 was £4.25 at a total cost of approximately £8,700.
Relevant Issues and Options
6. In respect of Christmas CASH grants it is proposed that a reduced sum of £315 is made available per Town and Community Council in 2015/16. This represents a reduction of a third on the funding available in 2014/15, the total cost of this reduced grant is estimated to be around £8,200 which will generate an estimated saving of £4,150 for the Effectiveness of Spend strand of Reshaping Services.
7. In respect of Christmas lunch grants for pensioners and similar organisations, it is proposed that a reduced sum of £3.00 per capita is made available in 2015/16. This represents a reduction of just under a third on the funding available in 2014/15, the total cost of this reduced grant is estimated to be around £6,200 which will generate an estimated saving of £2,500 for the Effectiveness of Spend strand of Reshaping Services.
8. The grant will need to be reviewed for future years, having regard to the Council's Reshaping Services programme. Under this initiative the efficiency of the Council's approach to grant funding is being reviewed. Any future allocations will therefore need to be assessed as part of this Reshaping Services work.
9. Currently we send out invites to Town and Community Councils to encourage them to apply for the Christmas CASH funding. It is proposed that in 2015/16 the applications will be sent out on request only.
10. Similarly for the lunch grant for pensioners and similar organisations, application forms will only be distributed if requested for 2015/16.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
11. Financial provision has been made within the Corporate Policy revenue budget in 2015/16.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
12. There are no sustainability and climate change implications arising out of this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
13. There are no direct legal implications arising from this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
14. There are no crime and disorder implications.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
15. The core eligibility criteria provided to all applicants, provides that all organisations seeking funding must actively promote equal opportunities in their operations and service delivery.
16. The proposals are within the corporate priorities of the Council.
Policy Framework and Budget
17. This report is a matter for Executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
18. Since the proposals are within the Policy Framework and Budget, no further consultation is required.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
19. Corporate Resources
Tel: 01446 709152