The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 27 July, 2015
Report of the Leader
Community Action Self Help (CASH) Scheme 2015/16
Purpose of the Report
1. To seek the views of Cabinet on the awarding of Community Action Self Help (CASH) grants.
1. That the amended scheme as set out in Appendix A be approved.
2. That grants totalling £2,958 be approved as set out at Appendix B.
3. That the remaining balance £27,000 is vired to create a new fund in the 2015/16 Capital Programme for additional capital schemes for Community facilities.
4. That Delegated Authority be awarded to the Managing Director in consultation with the Leader to award funding to additional schemes in 2015/16.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To amend the scheme to reflect the Council's altered focus regarding Effectiveness of Spend.
2. To progress grants in accordance with the amended scheme.
3. To utilise the remaining available capital funds on Community Facilities in 2015/16.
4. To enable the additional capital schemes to be progressed in 2015/16.
5. CASH schemes provide funding to Town and Community Councils to undertake capital schemes of their choice within their own area. This is an important feature of the Council’s aims to work in partnership with Town and Community Councils and to target resources to all communities within the Vale.
6. Technical assistance from officers is available to Town and Community Councils during the design and implementation of their schemes.
Relevant Issues and Options
7. The scheme's "Conditions and Criteria" is set out at Appendix A to this report. When approving grant applications Cabinet should ensure that the relevant criteria are being met and the purposes for which the grants are awarded are in accordance with the Council’s priorities.
8. It is proposed that the scheme is amended to ensure greater focus on Effectiveness of Spend. A summary of the existing criteria is set out below;
9. Schemes must be completed within the financial year 2015/16, are limited to a ceiling of £15,000 for any one Community or Town Council and satisfactory quotations must be obtained. In addition, the Council will need to be satisfied that the Community/Town Council is able to meet all future revenue costs.
10. In addition to the existing criteria above, it is proposed that additional criteria are applied when considering applications. The new criteria are as follows;
11. Only one scheme will be put forward per Town/Community Council.
12. No grant award should total more than 50% of the scheme value in order to demonstrate commitment to the scheme on behalf of Town/Community Councils.
13. Grant awards should not be more than 30% of the Town/Community Council's precept to ensure the schemes progressed are proportionate to the size of the Town/Community Council.
14. Grants schemes should be greater than 5% of the Town/Community Council's precept. Any scheme that is less than 5% of the precept value should be met from within the Town/Community Council's existing funds.
15. Details of the applications received together with the grants recommended are set out at Appendix B to this report.
16. A number of applications shown in appendix B have not been progressed because we are aware of community use Section 106 funding being available in these areas and therefore will put forward the scheme for consideration under Section 106 funding.
17. In addition a number of grant applications shown in Appendix B will be signposted to other alternative sources of funding that would be more appropriate for the scheme.
18. Any grants allocated are "in principle only". Only when conditions are met will final approval be issued.
19. Unless otherwise indicated, the balance of funding for any project will be provided by the Community Council making the application.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, as appropriate)
20. £30,000 has been included in the 2015/16 Capital Programme for the CASH grant scheme. The total value of grants previously recommended for approval amounts to £2,958, leaving a balance of £27,042. It is proposed that the balance is vired to create a budget for additional schemes for Community Facilities in 2015/16.
21. The responsibility for approving the allocations has been delegated to Managing Director in consultation with the Leader.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
22. It is a condition of the CASH scheme that the Town or Community Council is responsible for ensuring that works are undertaken in accordance with current health and safety legislation and that sufficient insurance cover is obtained prior to the commencement of works.
Crime and Disorder Implications
23. There are no Crime and Disorder Implications arising out of this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
24. There are no Equal Opportunities Implications arising out of this report.
25. Funding support to Community and Town Council's in accordance with the Council's corporate objectives.
Policy Framework and Budget
26. This is a matter for Executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
27. No consultation or Ward Member Consultation has taken place as the subject matter of the report is not Ward specific.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
28. Corporate Resources
Grant application forms and supporting paperwork.
Tel: 01446 709152.