The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 27 July, 2015
Report of the Leader
Grants to Community/Voluntary Organisations 2015/16
Purpose of the Report
1. To seek Cabinet's approval in the awarding of a grant from the 2015/16, 2016/17 and 2017/18 corporate revenue budget.
1. That a grant be awarded to Cardiff and Vale Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) of £164,250 in 2015/16, £159,250 in 2016/17 and £154,250 in 2017/18.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To award monies to assist the voluntary organisation
2. The Cardiff and Vale Citizens Advice Bureau have received an annual grant of £162,000 from the corporate policy revenue budget in 2012/13, 2013/14 and 2015/16. Following discussions between the Council representatives and the Cardiff and Vale Citizens Advice Bureau two options were proposed. Either three year funding would be made available £164,250 in 2015/16, £159,250 in 2016/17 and £154,250 in 2017/18, or to provide funding at £164,250 for one year with the opportunity to review once the impact of welfare reform is more fully known.
3. The Cardiff and Vale Citizens Advice Bureau opted for the three year funding option because they considered that it would give the organisation more stability.
Relevant Issues and Options
4. The Authority is currently reviewing the provision of grants under the Reshaping Services Programme.
5. The Cardiff and Vale Citizens Advice Bureau received funding of £162,000 in 2012/13, 2013/14 and 2014/15.
6. It is proposed that funding to Cardiff and Vale Citizens Advice Bureau is made at £164,250 in 2015/16, £159,250 in 2016/17 and £154,250 in 2017/18.
7. The grant will need to be reviewed at the end of the three years, having regard to the Council's Reshaping Services programme. Under this initiative the efficiency of the Council's approach to grant funding is being reviewed. Any future allocations will therefore need to be assessed as part of this Reshaping Services work.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
8. Financial provision has been made within the corporate policy revenue budget in 2015/16, 2016/17 and 2017/18.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
9. CAB provides advice and guidance to a range of citizens, thereby assisting in the building and sustaining of cohesive communities.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
10. There are no direct legal implications arising from this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
11. There are no crime and disorder implications.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
12. Organisations must actively promote equal opportunities in their operations and service delivery.
13. Contributes to Health Social Care and Wellbeing.
Policy Framework and Budget
14. This report is a matter for Executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
15. Since the proposals are within the Policy Framework and Budget, no further consultation is required.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
16. Corporate Resources
Finance, ICT & Property
Tel: 01446 709152