THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
CABINET: 7TH SEPTEMBER
REFERENCE FROM SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (CORPORATE RESOURCES): 21ST JULY, 2015
“271 CAPITAL MONITORING REPORT FOR THE PERIOD 1ST APRIL TO 31ST MAY, 2015 (MD) –
The report showed actual expenditure for the month of May 2015 and was matched by a similar figure in the profile to date column, thereby showing no variances. Members’ attention was drawn to Appendix 1 to the report which included requests for unspent committed expenditure that had been slipped from the previous financial year to the current financial year. Such request had been approved by Emergency Powers on 16th June, 2015.
The Head of Finance indicated that some schemes may not spend their full year’s allocation during the current financial year. Relevant officers would be required to provide explanations for any shortfalls and this would be reported at the earliest opportunity to Cabinet.
Appendix 2 to the report provided non-financial information on capital construction schemes with a budget over £100,000. Where a budget shown in Appendix 1 was more than £100,000 but was made up of several schemes that individually were less than £100,000, these schemes were not included in Appendix 2.
The report also set out for the Committee’s consideration changes to the 2015/16 Capital Programme in relation to the following matters:
- Modular Building Resiting – it was requested that the following schemes be amalgamated in order to enable a more co-ordinated approach to the procurement and relocation of Ysgol Dewi Sant demountable classrooms to Llangan and Fairfield. The total budget for the amalgamated scheme would be £817,000 and the scheme name would be Modular Building Resiting Ysgol Dewi Sant:
- Ysgol Dewi Sant Demountable Relocation – £200,000;
- Modular Building Resiting – £500,000;
- Llangan Classroom Base – £117,000.
In respect of Social Services it was requested that the Hen Goleg Works Schemes also be amalgamated in order to enable a more co-ordinated approach to procurement and delivery of a number of related schemes at the site. The total budget for the amalgamated schemes would be £246,000 made up of the following elements:
- Hen Goleg Damp Proofing – £97,000;
- Hen Goleg Car Park Redesign – £46,000;
- Hen Goleg Clock Tower – £103,000.
The Committee also considered the following schemes in respect of Development Services:
- Gileston Road and St. Athan Crossroads – Emergency Powers had been used to approve the inclusion of £36,000 in the Capital Programme for the works to Gileston and St. Athan Crossroads. This scheme would be funded from S106 monies.
- Barry Community Water Sports Facilities – Emergency Powers had been used to approve the inclusion of £106,000 in the Capital Programme for the Barry Community Water Sports Facilities Scheme. This scheme would be funded from S106 monies.
- Marketing and Disposal of the Innovation Quarter Southern Development Site, Barry, the Waterfront / Nell’s Point, Barry Island – Emergency Powers had been used to approve the inclusion of £50,000 for each of the schemes identified above. These schemes would be funded from Capital Receipts;
- Culverhouse Cross to St. Athan Bus Priority Scheme – a grant award of £76,000 had been approved by the Welsh Government for the continuation of the Culverhouse Cross to St. Athan Bus Priority Scheme. Accordingly, it was therefore requested that the 2015/16 Capital Programme be increased by this amount.
In regards to Resources – Emergency Powers had been used to approve the inclusion of £100,000 for the marketing and disposal of part of Cowbridge Livestock Market. This scheme would be funded from Capital Receipts.
Having regard to the above, it was
RECOMMENDED – T H A T the following changes to the 2015/16 Capital Programme be endorsed and forwarded to Cabinet for approval:
- Modular Building Resiting - Amalgamate the following schemes relating to the re-location of demountables, with an amended budget of £817,000, which will be called Modular Building Resiting Ysgol Dewi Sant
- Ysgol Dewi Sant Demountable Re-location £200,000
- Modular Building Resiting £500,000
- Llangan Classroom Base £117,000.
- Hen Goleg Works - Amalgamate the following schemes relating to Hen Goleg with an amended budget of £246,000
- Hen Goleg Damp Proofing £97,000
- Hen Goleg Car Park Redesign £46,000
- Hen Goleg Clock Tower £103,000.
- Culverhouse Cross to St. Athan Bus Priority Scheme – Increase the Capital Programme by £76,000, funded by a grant from Welsh Government.
Reason for recommendation
To allow schemes to proceed in the current financial year.”
Attached as Appendix – Report to Scrutiny Committee (Corporate Resources): 21st July, 2015