Agenda Item No. 6
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
COMMUNITY LIASON: 21 MARCH 2018
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 19 MARCH 2018
C260 MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING FOR FEES CHARGED FOR THE BURIAL AND CREMATION OF CHILDREN (RLS) (SCRUTINY COMMITTEE – CORPORATE PERFORMANCE AND RESOURCES) -
During consideration of this item the Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Planning left the room and took no part in the discussion on this matter.
The local ratification, adoption and implementation was sought of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the Welsh Ministers, the Welsh Local Government Association (WLGA), representing principal councils in Wales and One Voice Wales (OVW), representing Town and Community Councils in Wales in relation to the fees charged by local government for the burial and cremation of children.
On 23 November, 2017 the Cabinet Secretary for Local Government and Public Services, on behalf of the Welsh Government, signed a MOU with the WLGA and OVW. This MOU attached as Appendix 1 to the report set out a fair and consistent approach across Wales to the fees and charges by local government for the burial and cremation of children.
The MOU set out a shared commitment that burial authorities in Wales would not charge any fees in relation to the standard burial and cremation of a child, defined for these purposes as a person under 18.
The burial authorities within the Vale of Glamorgan had been contacted and asked to confirm whether they intended to adopt the commitment within the MOU. Some may already have made such a commitment. The Council would then distribute an appropriate sum to each burial authority in respect of applicable fees for services provided as covered by the MOU.
In recognition of the financial implications of the MOU, the Welsh Government had advised that it would allocate funding among principal Councils in Wales that had agreed to comply with the commitment of the MOU.
This was a matter for Executive decision
Cabinet, having considered the report and all the issues and implications contained therein
(1) T H A T the Council ratify, adopt and implement the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the Welsh Ministers, the Welsh Local Government Association (the WLGA) and One Voice Wales (OVW) in relation to the fees charged by local government for the burial and cremation of children.
(2) T H A T the Council makes the necessary arrangements to implement the commitment agreed in the MOU by putting in place arrangements to distribute the funding to Town and Community Councils and any other providers of the relevant services in the Vale of Glamorgan which do not charge for the burial or cremation of children in line with the agreement and which formally adopt the commitment within the MOU.
(3) T H A T the Council commits to the MOU and to abide by its provisions, whilst funding is made available from Welsh Government to support the initiative.
(4) T H A T the report be referred to the Community Liaison Committee to assist in raising awareness of the MOU.
Reasons for decisions
(1-3) To ensure that the commitment in the MOU was implemented in the Vale of Glamorgan and that a consistent approach in relation to children’s burial and cremation fees was adopted across Wales.
(4) To raise awareness amongst Town and Community Councils.
Attached as Appendix – Report to Cabinet 19 MARCH 2018