Agenda Item No. 10(a)
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
COUNCIL MEETING: 4 MARCH 2015
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 23 FEBRUARY 2015
C2655 SENIOR MANAGEMENT APPOINTMENT AND GRADING / SALARY ISSUES (L) (SCRUTINY COMMITTEE – CORPORATE RESOURCES) -
Cabinet was asked to consider and endorse proposals in relation to the recruitment and remuneration of the Council's Section 151 Officer and the salary of two other Heads of Service prior to submission to and final approval by Council on the 4 March, 2015.
The plans to review the senior management structure were as a result of the retirement of the current Managing Director/Director of Resources on the 31 March, 2015.
A copy of a draft job description and person specification for the Head of Finance / Section 151 officer was attached at Appendix A and B and to the report and would be considered by the Senior Management Appointments Committee as a basis for the recruitment and selection exercise.
A revised job description for the post of Head of Adult Services/LHB Locality Manager was attached at Appendix C to the report.
This was a matter for Executive and Council decision
(1) T H A T a permanent change to the role and salary of the post of Head of Finance as set out in paragraphs 8 to 20 of the report and in the light of the retirement of the current post holder be endorsed.
(2) T H A T subject to the above, arrangements be made to recruit to the revised Head of Finance/Section 151 Officer post under the auspices of the Senior Management Appointment Committee and that the job description and person specification attached at Appendix A and B to the report be used as the basis for that process.
(3) T H A T the changes to the salary of the Head of Adult Services/LHB Locality Manager as set out in paragraphs 21 to 31 of the report be endorsed.
(4) T H A T delegated authority be granted to the Head of Human Resources in consultation with the Leader to authorise the starting salary for the successful candidate for the post of Head of Regulatory Services in accordance with the proposals as set out in paragraphs 32 to 41 of the report.
(5) T H A T recommendations 1 to 4 above be referred for consideration and approval by Council on the 4 March, 2015.
(6) T H A T subject to the above the necessary revisions be made to the Council's 2015/16 Employee Pay Policy.
Reasons for decisions
(1&2) To support the succession arrangements for the statutory post of Section 151 Officer.
(3) To reflect HAY Group grading recommendations for the post of Head of Adult Services/LHB Locality Manager.
(4) To facilitate the appointment arrangements for the Head of Regulatory Services.
(5) To comply with the requirements of the Local Government (Standing Orders) (Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2014.
(6) To ensure the accuracy of the 2015/16 Employee Pay Policy.