Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Council Meeting 28th September 2015
Report of Section 151 Officer
Statement of Accounts 2014/15
Purpose of the Report
- To approve the Statement of Accounts and the Annual Governance Statement and agree the Final Letter of Representation for 2014/15.
- That the Letter of Representation to the Wales Audit Office by noted and that it be agreed and signed and dated by the Chair of Audit Committee.
- That the Annual Governance Statement (within the Statement of Accounts) be approved and signed and dated by the Leader of the Council at page 83.
- That the Statement of Accounts for 2014/15 be approved and signed and dated by the Mayor as Chairman of the Council at page 14.
Reasons for the Recommendations
- That a signed representation letter is returned to Wales Audit Office.
- That the Annual Governance Statement is signed and dated as required.
- That the Statement of Accounts is approved prior to the deadline.
- The Council's External Auditors have completed the audit of the Council's Financial Statements for 2014/15 and amendments have been incorporated therein.
Relevant Issues and Options
- The on the 21st September considered an agenda item entitled 'Audit of the 2014/15 Financial Statements - Reporting to Those Charged with Governance'. Committee recommended that the report of the Wales Audit Office be approved and the Financial Statements including the Final Letter of Representation by recommended for signature by those authorised.
- As mentioned above the Wales Audit Office requires the Authority to sign a final Letter of Representation which is attached at Appendix 1. I have consulted with the monitoring officer and appropriate officers in order that I can sign the said letter as Section 151 Officer.
- Under the Accounts and Audit Regulations, the Statement of Accounts must be approved before the 30th September and signed and dated by the Mayor as Chairman for the Council. The Statement of Accounts is attached to this report which has already been considered and endorsed by the Audit Committee.
- In addition the Annual Governance Statement needs to be formally approved by Council and signed and dated by the Leader of the Council. This statement has already been considered and endorsed by the Audit Committee.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
- There are no implications.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
- None as a direct consequence of this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
- The Accounts and Audit (Wales) Regulations 2014 require the Council to prepare a Statement of Accounts for each financial year (with an Annual Governance Statement).
Crime and Disorder Implications
- There are no crime and disorder implications.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
- There are no equal opportunity implications.
- Provide sound financial management and reliable advice in relation to all issues affecting the Council including the production of the statutory accounts.
Policy Framework and Budget
- The proposals in this report need to be approved by Council.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
- The appropriate Chief Officers have been consulted on this report. This report does not require Ward Member consultation.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
- Corporate Resources
Monitoring Officer and other appropriate officers.
Section 151 Officer.