Agenda Item No. 10(e)
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
CABINET: 14TH DECEMBER, 2015
REFERENCE FROM LICENSING COMMITTEE: 1ST DECEMBER, 2015
“ THE GAMBLING ACT 2005 – STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLES 2016 – 2019 (DEHS) –
Committee received a report which sought approval for the amendments to the Draft Statement of Principles and which recommended that the amendments be referred for comment to Cabinet on 14th December, 2015 and then to Council for final decision on 16th December, 2015.
Local Authorities had a duty under the Gambling Acct 2005 to prepare a Statement of Principles before each successive period of three years.
The current Statement of Principles was approved by the Council on 5th December, 2012 and was effective for the period 31st January, 2013 to 30th January, 2016.
The Draft Statement of Principles for the period 31st January, 2016 to 30th January, 2019 had been subject to public consultation between 7th September, 2015 and 9th November, 2015.
The Gambling Act 2005 placed a duty on Local Authorities to develop a Statement of Principles that promoted the three licensing objectives:
- Preventing gambling from being a source of crime and disorder, being associated with crime and disorder or being used to support crime
- Ensuring that gambling was conducted in a fair and open way.
- Protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited.
The Draft Statement of Principles had been subject to an extensive consultation with members of the trade, responsible authorities, current licence holders and Members. A list of consultees and the way in which they were consulted was attached at Appendix A to the report.
The Draft Statement of Principles was also available on the Vale of Glamorgan Council’s website.
The consultation ended on 9th November, 2015 and four responses had been received and responded to in relation to the Draft Statement of Principles.
A list of the amendments to the Draft Statement of Principles and responses to the consultation was attached to the report at Appendix B.
The Statement of Principles 2016 – 2019 would need to take effect on 31st January, 2016. The Statement of Principles would be published and made available on the Vale of Glamorgan Council’s website and at Vale of Glamorgan libraries. The Statement of Principles notice will be placed on the Vale of Glamorgan website and public noticeboard. The Statement of Principles and notice will be available a minimum of four weeks in advance of the effective date, which would be 3rd January, 2016.
Having considered the report, it was
(1) T H A T the amendments to the Draft Statement of Principles be approved.
(2) T H A T the replies made to consultees who had responded to the Draft Statement of Principles and shown in Appendix B to the report be endorsed.
(3) T H A T the amended Statement of Principles be referred for comment to Cabinet on 14th December, 2015 and then to Council for decision on 16th December, 2015.
Reason for decisions
(1-3) To ensure a comprehensive and workable Statement of Principles is in place and also to ensure the Vale of Glamorgan Council complies with the requirements of the Gambling Act 2005.”
Attached as Appendix – Report to Licensing Committee: 1st December, 2015