Agenda Item No. 7
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Council: 27th April 2016
Report of the Monitoring Officer
Community Committee Member Serving on the Council's Standards Committee
Purpose of the Report
- To seek the approval of Council to an extension to the term of office of the Community Committee Member of the Council's Standards Committee.
That Town Councillor M. Cuddy's term of office as Community Committee Member of the Council's Standards Committee be extended to 4th May, 2017.
Reason for the Recommendation
To maintain continuity of membership.
- The Standards Committees (Wales) Regulations 2001 state that the composition of a Standards Committee shall not consist of persons other than:
(a) persons who are members of the relevant Authority concerned
(b) independent members, or
(c) Community Committee Members.
- The Community Committee Member currently sitting on the Council's Standards Committee is Penarth Town Councillor M. Cuddy.
- Town Councillor Cuddy was appointed to the Standards Committee on 18th July, 2012 for a period of four years.
Relevant Issues and Options
- As a consequence of the postponement of the 2016 local government elections, provision is made by The Local Government (Standards Committees, Investigations, Dispensations and Referral) (Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2016 to enable a relevant authority to determine that community council members of its standards committee who are in place on 1 April 2016 may continue to serve until the next ordinary election in 2017. In addition, the current four year restriction on the term of office for such a member is removed.
- In reappointing the existing Community Committee Member, the need to invite applications for the position from Town and Community Councils within the Vale of Glamorgan and make an appointment following interview will be avoided, and the reappointment would provide the Standards Committee with continuity of membership.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
- As set out in the body of the report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
- To ensure that the Council's Standards Committee is constituted in accordance with the legislative requirements.
Policy Framework and Budget
- This is a matter for determination by Full Council and is within the Council's policy framework and budget.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
- Not applicable.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
The Local Government (Standards Committees, Investigations, Dispensations and Referral) (Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2016.
Mr. C. Hope (01446 709855), e-mail: email@example.com
Mr. R. Thomas, Managing Director
Ms. D. Marles, Monitoring Officer