Agenda Item No. 13(b)
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
COUNCIL MEETING: 28 SEPTEMBER 2016
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 5 SEPTEMBER 2016
C3287 SCHOOL AND COLLEGE TRANSPORT POLICY (BSHT) (SCRUTINY COMMITTEE – ENVIRONMENT AND REGENERATION) -
Cabinet was informed of the results of the consultation exercise carried out in respect of an amended school/college transport policy and approval was sought for the amended policy to be implemented from 1 September, 2017.
Three distinct policies existed for mainstream school, additional learning needs and Post 16 College transport. On 9 May, 2016 (Minute number C3175 refers) Cabinet agreed to undertake a consultation on a revised School and College Transport Policy and that the results of that consultation process be reported back to Cabinet.
The consultation process took place from Monday 13 June, 2016 until Wednesday 20 July, 2016. The relevant consultation documents were made available bilingually on the Council's website and also on request in paper format. Colleges, schools, parents/pupils, the Welsh Government, neighbouring authorities and community councils were all advised that the consultation process was taking place.
Official written responses to the consultation were received from Barry Town Council, Welsh St Donats Community Council, Penarth Town Council, Vale of Glamorgan Youth Cabinet and an individual parent. Communication was also received verbally from neighbouring authorities and Welsh Government officials.
The written responses received were attached at Appendix A to the Report. Although not many responses were received, this was expected as the combined policy saw little change with no effect on the majority of residents in the Vale of Glamorgan.
As a result of the representations received several changes had been made to the Draft Policy. The changes to the Draft Policy were tracked and shown at Appendix B attached to the report. Although the response from a parent had been included as part of the responses to the consultation, the matter was being dealt with separately as it formed part of an education admissions issue.
Appendix C attached to the report contained the final proposed Policy taking into account all of the consultation comments received. The changes made to the Policy as a result of the consultation exercise enhanced its clarity adding additional references to legislation and clearer definitions. The Policy would be enacted from September 2017.
This was a matter for Executive decision
Cabinet, having considered the report and all the issues and implications contained therein
(1) T H A T the feedback from the consultation exercise attached at Appendix A to the report be noted.
(2) T H A T the publication of the revised school and college transport policy attached at Appendix C to the report by 1 October, 2016 be approved.
(3) T H A T the use of article 14.14 of the Council's Constitution (urgent decision procedure) be authorised to enable the publication of the revised school and college transport policy attached at Appendix C to the report by 1 October, 2016.
(4) T H A T the revised school and college transport policy attached at Appendix C to the report be approved for implementation from 1 September, 2017.
Reasons for decisions
(1-3) To ensure the revised school and college transport policy was published by October 2016 so that it can be implemented from 1 September, 2017.
(4) To enable one transport policy document to be used for mainstream, additional learning needs and college transport.