Agenda Item No. 7(b)
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
COUNCIL MEETING: 25 APRIL 2018
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 16 APRIL 2018
C290 NON DOMESTIC RATES – HIGH STREET RATE RELIEF SCHEME 2018/19 (L) (SCRUTINY COMMITTEE – CORPORATE PERFORMANCE AND RESOURCES) -
To confirm adoption of a High Street Rates Relief Scheme for 2018-19 in respect of qualifying business premises within the Vale of Glamorgan area under discretionary relief powers in accordance with section 47 of the Local Government Finance Act 1988.
An announcement was made on the 13th December 2017 by the Cabinet Secretary for Finance, Mark Drakeford AM, regarding an extra £5 million being made available to extend the help available to High Street retailers with their non-domestic rates. This is half the amount available in 2017/2018
On the 13th March 2018 the Welsh Government confirmed that an administrative grant of £6,203.86 would be provided to the Vale of Glamorgan to assist with the implementation of the scheme. This amount was based on the total number of eligible hereditaments that received relief in the 2017-18 financial year.
On the assumption that grant funding for the Vale of Glamorgan Council would be based on the total number of eligible hereditaments that received relief in the 2017-18 financial year, then it was anticipated that an amount of £231,500 would be received to assist eligible ratepayers.
The relief was aimed at High Street retailers in Wales and including those retailers that had seen an increase in their rates as a result of the 2017 revaluation undertaken by the Valuation Office Agency.
There were two levels of support available; Tier 1 which was the lower level of support up to a maximum of £250 and Tier 2 which was the higher level of support up to a maximum of £750.
This was a matter for Executive decision
Cabinet, having considered the report and all the issues and implications contained therein
(1) T H A T Cabinet recommends to full Council the following:
• Adopts the High Street Rates Relief Scheme for 2018-19 in accordance with the provisions contained in Section 47 of the Local Government Finance Act 1988.
• Resolves to award relief to all qualifying businesses on the assumption that the Non-domestic Rates High Street Rates Relief Guidance issued by the Welsh Government at Appendix A for the 2017-18 financial year will remain unchanged.
• Resolves to automatically award entitlement to those qualifying business that can be identified through records held by the Council.
• Resolves to award entitlement to the remaining businesses that may be eligible following receipt of a valid application form.
• Delegated authority be granted to the Head of Finance to implement any eligibility change issued by the Welsh Government in respect of High Street Rates Relief for the 2018-19 financial year.
(2) T H A T the use of Article 14.14 of the Council’s Constitution (urgent decision procedure) be authorised in respect of resolution 1 above.
Reasons for decisions
(1&2) To enable a scheme to be adopted using discretionary relief powers under section 47 of the Local Government Finance Act 1988 for the provision of High Street Rates Relief for qualifying business premises within the Vale of Glamorgan area for the period 1st April 2018 to 31st March 2019.