Agenda Item No. 4
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Democratic Services Committee: 18th January 2017
Report of the Managing Director
ICT Update for Members
Purpose of the Report
- To inform Members of any new developments or issues within the ICT service and how they relate to the services provided to them.
That Members note the content of the report.
Reason for the Recommendation
To ensure Members are made aware of any developments to their ICT Service to the wider Council.
- The Committee's terms of reference include responsibility for overseeing the Council's approach to Member Development. As part of its role, the Committee has agreed that a Members' ICT update be a standing item on the agenda for each meeting.
Relevant Issues and Options
- A report entitled "Review of ICT Systems for Elected Members" was considered and approved by Cabinet on 9th January 9th 2017. This report can be viewed by clicking here. The report sets out the approach to be taken in terms of Member ICT for new, and returning Members following the Council election in May 2017. Much of the content has been previously discussed by this Committee. A review of the ICT Guide for Elected Members is also underway and is out for consultation with officers.
- In addition to the actual provision of equipment, the above report refers to the fact that it is considered that the arrangements for its issue, the type of equipment offered and the various officer roles and responsibilities in terms of Member ICT are in need of clarification and regularising. Officers are currently reviewing (prior to consideration by Members) the relevant documentation, together with guidelines to assist Members in ensuring appropriate use of equipment (covering areas such as Data Protection). The intention is that a link to the information be included in the Candidates' Pack which will be distributed to all candidates standing in the May 2017 Council Election.
- If it is considered necessary, an additional meeting of the Committee will be arranged to consider any other matters requiring attention ahead of the next scheduled meeting of the Committee, which is not until April 2017.
- The trial of the Google for Work system as a possible replacement for Microsoft Office has concluded and, although the trial met most of its objectives, a decision has been taken by Corporate Management Team not to adopt Google for Work at this time, mainly due to a time limited offer from Google ending on the 31st December 2016, which did not allow enough time to complete the evaluation and consult widely enough across the Council.
- The ICT Service is undergoing a restructure and the management restructure is now complete, with formal consultation starting later this month for the remainder of the service. Support for Members is included in the review and it is proposed to maintain support at the current level, whilst looking at opportunities to update equipment for Members as referred to above.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
- There are no legal implications that arise as a result of this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
- There are no Crime and Disorder implications for this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
- There are no equal opportunity implications that arise as a result of this report.
- To exercise robust financial management and explore all opportunities to improve efficiency and service quality including collaborative working.
- To deliver cost-effective support and service desk function to monitor performance, meet customer needs and communicate effectively.
Policy Framework and Budget
- The terms of reference of the Committee include responsibility for overseeing the Council's approach to Member Development, including Member ICT.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
- No Member consultation has taken place.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
- Corporate Performance and Resources Scrutiny Committee.
Previous reports to Democratic Services Committee on Members' ICT
David Vining - Head of Strategic ICT
Jeff Wyatt - Democratic Services
Rob Thomas - Managing Director