Agenda Item No. 6
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Planning Committee: 5th June 2014
Report of the Managing Director
Public Rights of Way Sub-Committee
Purpose of the Report
1. To seek agreement to the reappointment of the Public Rights of Way Sub-Committee.
That the Public Rights of Way Sub-Committee, comprising 5 Members (2 Labour, 1 Conservative, 1 Plaid Cymru and 1 Llantwit Major First Independents), be reappointed.
Reason for the Recommendation
To facilitate decision-making.
2. The Committee is required to reappoint any Sub-Committees required at its first meeting of the municipal year.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. The Local Authorities (Executive Arrangements) (Functions and Responsibilities) (Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2009 reallocated certain functions, previously the responsibility of the Executive, to the Council.
4. Planning Committee on 7th January, 2010 and 20th May, 2010, agreed that responsibility for matters previously resting with the Cabinet Public Rights of Way Sub-Committee, together with those Rights of Way functions covered within the 2009 Regulations, be transferred to a Planning Sub-Committee. The terms of reference of the Sub-Committee and the allocation of functions between the Planning Committee, the Sub-Committee and officers were approved by the Planning Committee on 15th April 2010, namely:
· "To consider and determine under delegated powers applications for Footpath Orders made under Sections 25, 26, 118 and 119 of the Highways Act 1980 and Orders made under Sections 53(3)(b), 53(3)(c) and 54 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 in respect of modifications of the Definitive Map.
· That responsibility for Rights of Way / Highway related functions contained in the Local Authorities (Executive Arrangements) (Functions and Responsibilities) (Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2009, other than those already allocated to the Public Rights of Way Sub-Committee be delegated to the Director of Environmental and Economic Regeneration (now the Director of Development Services).
· That the procedural note attached as Appendix B to the report be approved for use at meetings of the Public Rights of Way Sub-Committee."
(Note: This Appendix is attached to this report for the information of Committee.)
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
Crime and Disorder Implications
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
Policy Framework and Budget
11. This is a matter for determination by the Planning Committee.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
12. This is an internal matter and, therefore, no external consultation was necessary.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
13. Economy and Environment.
The Local Authorities (Executive Arrangements) (Functions and Responsibilities) (Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2009
Report to Council: 9th December 2009
Report to Planning Committee: 7th January 2010.
Mr. C. Hope, Tel: (01446) 709855, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Siân Davies, Managing Director