Agenda Item No.
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
PLANNING COMMITTEE: 18 DECEMBER 2014
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 1 DECEMBER 2014
C2565 LOCAL DEVELOPMENT PLAN PROCESS REVIEW CONSULTATION (RIPT) (SCRUTINY COMMITTEE – ECONOMY AND ENVIRONMENT) -
Approval was sought for the Council's response to the Welsh Government's (WG) consultation concerning a review of the Local Development Plan (LDP) process.
The WG had consulted the Council on changes it proposed to make to the LDP system in Wales. Full details of the changes could be found at: http://wales.gov.uk/consultations/planning/local-development-plans-process-review/?lang=en
The Council was now at an advanced stage of preparing its own LDP and a report outlining responses made to the Council's Deposit LDP and to the Alternative Site process would be presented to Cabinet for consideration in spring 2015. The LDP would then be submitted to the WG in early summer 2015 to enable an Examination in Public to be held in which an Inspector would ascertain whether the Plan was "Sound". Currently the Plan was due to be formally adopted in late 2016. Full details of the Council's LDP could be found at: http://www.valeofglamorgan.gov.uk/ldp.
The main matters proposed for review by the Consultation were as follows:
(a) to increase and improve front-loading of the LDP process, with a more integrated approach to incorporating sustainability appraisal / strategic environmental assessment fully into LDP preparation, a more informative Preferred Strategy and a requirement for sites being brought forward at the early stages of the process negating the need for the resource intensive and extremely confusing â€˜Alternative Site’ stage;
(b) to reduce the required stages for LDP plan revision, by introducing a shorter procedure for making partial revisions to an adopted LDP where the issues involved are not of sufficient significance to warrant the full procedure;
(c) to amend the LDP soundness tests to make them clearer and simpler and
(d) to provide greater clarity in relation to the LDP's evidence base, deliverability, monitoring and review.
The Council's proposed response to the WG's Consultation on the LDP Process Review was attached at Appendix 1 to the Report.
This was a matter for Executive decision
(1) T H A T the response to the Local Development Plan Process Review Consultation as attached at Appendix 1 to the report be forwarded to Welsh Government before the 2 January, 2015 deadline.
(2) T H A T Cabinet receive a further report when the changes to the Local Development Plan System were implemented.
(3) T H A T the report be referred to Planning Committee for information.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To enable the Council's response to the Welsh Government's Local Development Plan Process Review Consultation to be submitted by the closing date of 2 January, 2015.
(2) To be advised of any changes that were made to the Local Development Plan System in Wales.
(3) To advise Planning Committee of the proposed changes to the Local Development System in Wales.
Attached as Appendix – Report to Cabinet – 1 DECEMBER 2014