Agenda Item No. 7
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Scrutiny Committee (Corporate Resources): 21st January 2013
Report of the Managing Director
Capital Monitoring Report for the period 1st April to 30th November 2013
Purpose of the Report
1. To advise Scrutiny of the progress on the 2013/14 Capital Programme for the period 1st April 2013 to 30th November 2013.
That this Committee endorse the following recommendations and forward such to Cabinet for approval. Item 2 is for onward transmission to Council.
1. That Cabinet approves the following changes to the 2013/14 Capital Programme:
· Approve a virement of £35k from the Education Asset Renewal contingency fund for emergency works at Albert Primary School.
· Approve a virement of £10k from Bryn Hafren Boiler Replacement to fund Barry Comprehensive Boiler House Remedial Works.
· Approve the following virements; transfer £9k from High Street Replace Boiler Replacement, transfer £6k from Gwenfo Primary School Boiler and transfer £10k from Romilly Primary Replace Cast Iron Gutters to fund High Street Ceiling Overboarding.
· Approve the following virements; transfer £7k from slippage for Ysgol Sant Baruc Overboard Ceilings, transfer £17k from slippage from Pendoylan School Remodelling and transfer £16k from Bryn Hafren Boiler Replacement to fund Romilly Primary Ceiling Overboarding.
· Approve the following virements; transfer £20k from Barry Comp Main Block Roof and transfer £19k from Ysgol Sant Baruc Overboard Ceilings to fund Ysgol Sant Curig Rebuild Deteriorating Masonry and Emergency Overboarding.
· Request to approve a number of virements to reflect the changes to the Housing Improvement Plan shown in the Housing Business Plan which was report to Cabinet 2nd December 2013 (Minute C2113).
· Request to approve a virement of £15k from Emergency Contingency Works to fund the following schemes; Spawling concrete/survey and safety work £10k, Llantwit Major Housing Lights £1k, £12.5k Retaining Wall Laleston Close Gibbonsdown and New Landlords Supply 93 Glebe Street £5k.
· Approve a virement of budgets from Dock Office Mechanical and Electrical £10k and Dock Office Ground Floor Toilet and Kitchen Refurbishment £48k to the Space Project Office Accommodation budget.
2. That Cabinet recommend to Council the following changes to the 2013/14 Capital Programme:
· Request to increase the 2013/14 Capital Programme for an additional £200k funding from WG for Ysgol Nant Talwg brought forward from 2014/15, and reduce the 2014/15 Capital Programme by £200k to reflect the change in funding profile.
· Request to delay funding for Flood Risk Management schemes at Boverton £250k and Coldbrook £138k until 2014/15 and include these schemes in the 2014/15 Capital Budget.
· Request to increase Capital Programme by £2.750m funding approved by WG for Construction phase of Gileston to Old Mill scheme.
· Request to increase the 2013/14 Capital Programme by £35.5k awarded towards the cost of the Railway Walk Cycle Scheme by Regional Transport Consortia (SEWTA).
· Request to increase the 2013/14 Capital Programme £30.4k awarded by Natural Resources Wales by for the Rights of Way Improvement Programme.
· Request to increase 2013/14 (£8.5k) and 2014/15 (£14k) Capital Programmes for funding Wales Coast Path Development Programme approved by Natural Resources Wales.
Reason for the Recommendations
1 - 2 To allow schemes to proceed in the current or future financial years.
2. Council on the 18th November 2013, minute number C2074, approved the amended Capital Programme for 2013/14.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. Appendix 1 details financial progress on the Capital Programme as at 30th November 2013 and has been amended to reflect the changes requested in this report.
4. For all schemes where it is evident that the full year's budget will not be spent during the year, the relevant officers are required to provide an explanation for the shortfall and this shall be taken to the earliest available Cabinet.
5. Appendix 2 provides non-financial information on capital construction schemes with a budget of over £100k. Where a budget shown in Appendix 1 is more than £100k but is made up of several schemes that individually are less than £100k, the scheme is not included in Appendix 2.
Learning and Skills
6. Albert Primary School Emergency Works to Ceilings - Request to vire £35k from the Education Asset Renewal Contingency Budget to pay for Emergency works at the school, following failure of a section of lath and plaster ceiling in the infant hall. Following an inspection of all ceilings further areas of potential failure were identified and the school was closed with immediate effect. Emergency remedial works have been completed by Pinit Building to enable the school to reopen as soon as possible.
7. Barry Comprehensive Boiler House Remedial Works - Request to vire £10k from Bryn Hafren Boiler Replacement, where following a tender exercise by Property Section the additional funding is not required, in order to fund the costs of the scheme at Barry Comprehensive following completion of the tender exercise.
8. High Street Ceiling Overboarding - Following failure of a section of lath and plaster ceiling further inspection of all ceilings identified further areas of potential failure the anticipated costs of the scheme are £25k. This scheme will be funded by the following virements;
Transfer £9k from High Street Replace Boiler Replacement due to a projected underspend against this scheme
Transfer £6k from Gwenfo Primary School Boiler due to a projected underspend against this scheme
Transfer £10k from Romilly Primary Replace Cast Iron Gutters following confirmation from Building Services that this funding is not required.
9. Romilly Ceiling Overboarding - Following failure of a section of lath and plaster ceiling inspection of all ceilings identified further areas of potential failure, the anticipated costs of the scheme are £30k. This scheme will be funded by the following virements:
Transfer £7k from slippage for Ysgol Sant Baruc Overboard Ceilings following confirmation from Building Services that this funding is not required.
Transfer £17k from slippage from Pendoylan School Remodelling as it has been confirmed that only £5k of the budgeted £22k will be required.
Transfer £6k from Bryn Hafren Boiler Replacement.
10. Ysgol Sant Curig Rebuild Deteriorating Masonry and Emergency Overboarding - Following a lath and plaster collapse, a full inspection of the school identified a number of ceilings that were severely cracked and in urgent need of overboarding, the anticipated costs of the scheme are £59k whereas the current budget in the capital scheme is £20k. A number of virements are required to fund the increased costs for this scheme as follows:
Transfer £20k from Barry Comp Main Block Roof following confirmation of an underspend on this scheme from Building Services
Transfer £19k from Ysgol Sant Baruc Overboard Ceilings following confirmation of an underspend of this scheme from Building Services.
11. Ysgol Nant Talwg - WG has recently issued its allocation for the 21st Century Schools Funding and has confirmed that, subject to completion of a business case to WG, grant funding of £1.2m has been allocated to this scheme for 2013/14. This is an increase of £200k on the initial 2013/14 budget but is merely a re-phasing of grant rather than additional grant so it is hereby requested that the 2013/14 capital budget be increased by £200k and the 2014/15 capital budget be reduced by £200k to reflect the funding reprofile.
Visible Services and Housing
12. Flood Risk Management - Request to delay funding for the following Flood Risk Management Schemes until 2014/15 and include these schemes in the 2014/15 Capital Budget.
Flood Risk Management at Boverton - £250k to provide match funding if Welsh Government approve the proposed scheme
Flood Risk Management at Coldbrook -£138k to provide match funding required for increased construction costs.
13. Gileston to Old Mill - Request to increase Capital Programme by £2.750m funding approved by WG for Construction phase of scheme. Due to start on site January 2014 and expected completion November 2014.
14. Housing Improvement Plan - Request a number of virements to amend budgets to reflect the amounts shown in Appendix E to the Housing Business Plan which was approved by Cabinet on 2nd December 2013 (Minute C2113).
15. Emergency Contingency Works - Request a virement to fund the following schemes; Spawling concrete/survey and safety work £10k (included in paragraph 15 above, Llantwit Major Housing Lights £1k, Retaining Wall Laleston Close Gibbonsdown £12.5k and New Landlords Supply 93 Glebe Street £5k (included in paragraph 15 above).
16. Regional Transport Consortia (SEWTA) - For Scrutiny to note that additional funding has been offered to the Council as follows to ensure that this funding is spent within the financial year 2013/14 this has been built into the Capital Programme for 2013/14 using the Emergency Powers procedure:
£3k for Development of Road Safety Capital Schemes
£14k for Bus Stop upgrades on A48
£13k for an additional Greenlinks Transport Minibus
£24k for an additional Greenlinks Transport Minibus and accessible car.
In addition to the above further funding of £36k has been awarded towards the cost of the Railway Walk Cycle Scheme to cover additional costs due to amendments in design such as different surfacing material which is more aesthetically suited to the environment. This totals the award for 2013/14 to £220k. It is requested that this additional sum be accepted by the Council from the SEWTA Grant fund and it is included in the 2013/2014 Capital Programme.
17. Rights of Way Improvement Plan (ROWIP) - Following approval of additional funding by Natural Resources Wales, request to reflect allocation of £30.4k within the Capital Programme for 2013/14. The funding covers the following projects:
£8k to fund Preparation of new definitive map, analysis and reporting of CAMS data.
£3.5k to fund creation and improvement of Public Right of Way links.
£12.5k has been allocated to fund review and support of annual clearance arrangements.
£2.5k to improve path through public wildlife trust reserve by installing drainage.
£2k to establish focus group to develop and deliver improvements for low use groups
£1.9k to Establish Barry Heart Walk.
18. Wales Coast Path Development Programme - Request to increase Capital Programme by £22.5k for Grant Funding allocated by Natural Resources Wales. The increase in funding will be as follows; £8.5k in 2013-14 Capital Programme and a further £14k in 2014-15 Capital Programme to fund the following schemes; Wales Coast Path Programme Boverton Mill to Summerhouse Point and Wales Coast Path Programme St Bride's Major to Dunraven Park.
19. Space Project Reduced Office Accommodation - Request to Vire budgets from Dock Office Mechanical and Electrical £10k and Dock Office Ground Floor Toilet and Kitchen Refurbishment £48k to the Space Project Office Accommodation as these schemes have been combined for ease of delivery. The revised Space Project Budget in 2013/14 will be £420k.
Variance between Actual Spend to date and Profiled Spend
20. Cabinet have previously agreed that further information would be provided where schemes have a value of over £500k and show a variance of 20% or more between actual spend and the profile. The following schemes meet this criteria:-
21. Penarth Learning Community - The scheme is currently in construction phase and progressing well. Amendments to programming/sequencing of works has resulted in actual expenditure currently exceeding initial spend profile. This does not adversely affect the final cost
22. Vehicles Renewal Fund - Expenditure is slightly behind profile due to second hand vehicles being purchased in year and some items of expenditure being delayed pending the outcome of decisions regarding future revenue services.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
23. There are no direct financial implications of this report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
24. There are no sustainability implications.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
25. There are no legal implications.
Crime and Disorder Implications
26. There are no crime and disorder implications.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
27. There are no equal opportunity implications.
28. Effective monitoring assists in the provision of accurate and timely information to officers and Members and in particular allows services to better manage their resources.
Policy Framework and Budget
29. Part of this report should be referred to Council because it is contrary to and not wholly in accordance with the budget.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
30. Each Scrutiny Committee will receive a monitoring report on their respective areas. This report does not require Ward Member consultation.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Gemma Jones Accountant
The Directors of Resources, Social Services, Development Services, Visible Services and Housing, and the Chief Learning and Skills Officer.
Sian Davies, Managing Director