Agenda Item No.
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (ECONOMY AND ENVIRONMENT): 6TH NOVEMBER 2012.
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 15TH OCTOBER, 2012
C1858 National Eisteddfod 2012 - Llandow, Vale of Glamorgan - Closing Report (LPCSD) (Economy and Environment) –
Members received a closing report on the Council's involvement in hosting the 2012 National Eisteddfod at Llandow.
Cabinet on 16th March 2011, 4th January 2012 and 23rd July 2012 received detailed reports that outlined the Council's involvement in terms of working with the Eisteddfod on organisation of the event as well as the Council's own direct involvement.
In the run up to the event, key milestones of the Councils involvement included:
- The Proclamation Ceremony was held in June 2011.
- The Council had a presence at the 2011 Wrexham Eisteddfod.
- The Council agreed to sponsor and procure the Eisteddfod Crown and the Crown was presented to Dr. Dylan Jones, Chair of the Local Executive Committee at a reception on 30th May hosted by the Mayor of the Council.
In terms of the Eisteddfod itself, the attendance figures stood at 138,767 for the week, nearly 2000 higher than the previous Eisteddfod based in South Wales, which was hosted in Ebbw Vale in 2010.
In comparison with last year's Eisteddfod, held in Wrexham, the attendance was 10,000 lower across the week.
The cost of preparing and planning for the Eisteddfod in terms of officer time was met from existing resources and budgets. The remainder of the costs were as follows:
- Transport Management and Planning at a cost of £35K
- Public Transport - Bus Service at a cost of £9k
- Greenlinks at a cost of £1.1K
- Cleaning and Associated Activity at a cost of £4k
- Decoration (provided within existing budgets)
- Marketing (provided within existing budgets)
- The Council Pavilion – Council Presence on the Maes at a cost of £30.7K
- Play Development at a cost of £4K
- Sports Development (provided within existing budgets).
As host authority, the Council was also required to provide a translation service at the Maes to deal with visitor needs as and when they arose. This amounted to a total cost of £5k.
At the meeting, Councillor Burnett commented that this event was a major triumph for the Council and that the Vale of Glamorgan had been put on the map as being a professional Event / Festival venue that could cope with all infrastructure requirements that were needed in hosting such large events. In support of this statement a third recommendation was added below.
This was a matter for Executive decision.
(1) T H A T the content of the report and the Council's involvement be noted.
(2) T H A T a copy of the report be referred to the Economy and Environment Scrutiny Committee and the next Community Liaison Committee for information.
(3) T H A T officers from all departments involved in the organisation leading up to and during the National Eisteddfod be thanked for their hard work and contribution to this successful event.
Reasons for Decisions
(1) The report contained information regarding the Council's involvement and was for noting.
(2) To apprise the Scrutiny Committee and the Community Liaison Committee.
(3) To recognise the hard work of staff.
Attached as Appendix - Report to Cabinet: 15th October 2012