Agenda Item No. 7
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (HOUSING AND PUBLIC PROTECTION): 7TH OCTOBER, 2015
REFERENCE FROM LICENSING COMMITTEE: 1ST SEPTEMBER, 2015
“ GAMBLING ACT 2005 STATEMENT OF PRINCIPLES (DHVS) –
Committee was requested to endorse the revised Gambling Act 2005 Statement of Principles.
The Gambling Act 2005 gave effect to the Government’s proposals for reform of the law on gambling.
The Act placed a duty on the Council to develop a Statement of Principles that promoted the three licensing objectives:
- Preventing gambling from being a source of crime or disorder, or being used to support crime
- Ensuring that gambling was conducted in a fair and open way
- Protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited.
The draft Statement of Principles would be subject to extensive consultation with members of the trade, responsible authorities, current licence holders and Elected Members. A copy of the amendments to the Statement of Principles was available at Appendix B to the report.
There would be a nine week consultation period.
The Statement of Principles would take effect on 31st January, 2016. The Statement must be published, available at Council buildings and notices placed in a local newspaper four weeks in advance of the effective date, which would be 3rd January 2016.
Having considered the report, it was
(1) T H A T the Council’s proposed Gambling Act 2005 Statement of Principles as attached at Appendix A to the report be endorsed for consultation.
(2) T H A T the proposed Gambling Act 2005 Statement of Principles be referred to Cabinet and Scrutiny Committee (Housing and Public Protection) for information.
(3) T H A T the Licensing Committee be provided with feedback from the consultation prior to the final draft Statement of Principles being recommended to Council for approval.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To ensure a comprehensive and workable Statement of Principles was in place and that the Vale of Glamorgan Council complies with the requirements of the Gambling Act 2005.
(2) To enable the Scrutiny Committee to consider the proposed changes.
(3) To ensure Cabinet is aware of all feedback from the consultees as part of the decision-making process.”
Attached as Appendix – Report to Licensing Committee: 1st September, 2015