Agenda Item No. 12
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Scrutiny Committee (Lifelong Learning): 9th September, 2013
Report of the Managing Director
Scrutiny Committees' Draft Annual Report - May 2012 to April 2013 and Scrutiny Committee Work Programme
Purpose of the Report
1. To consider the draft 2012/13 Annual Report for the Scrutiny Committees in the municipal year and to confirm the Scrutiny Committee's Work Programme.
1. THAT the Scrutiny Committee approves the content of the draft Annual Report for the period May 2012 to April 2013 subject to any further minor amendments being agreed in consultation with the Chairman and that it be submitted to Full Council in September 2013.
2. THAT this Scrutiny Committee's Work Programme for 2013/14 attached at Appendix 2 to the report be confirmed and uploaded to the Council's website as appropriate.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To approve the draft Scrutiny Committees' Annual Report to allow it to be submitted to Full Council in September 2013.
2. To confirm the Scrutiny Committee Work Programme, it being noted that the schedule of approved list of items for consideration may be subject to change depending on prevailing circumstances.
2. In accordance of Section 6.03d of Article 6 of the Vale of Glamorgan Council's Constitution Scrutiny Committees must report annually to Full Council on their workings and make recommendations for future work programmes and amended working methods as appropriate. The Constitution also provides that Scrutiny Committee's Work Programmes for the municipal year and that is included in the Committees' Annual Report.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. The Scrutiny Committees' Annual Report attached at Appendix 1 includes details of the work of all the Scrutiny Committees for 2012/13 together with details of the Forward Work Programme that will include for example
· Performance monitoring
· Revenue and capital expenditure monitoring
· Improvement Plan
· Budget proposals annual reporting
· Service Planning annual reporting
· Decision tracking of the Committee recommendations
· Receiving progress reports on various issues
· Any other matters that the Committee considers appropriate.
4. Appendix 2 to the report is a complete list of the work programme for this Scrutiny Committee as known to date and details the reports which will be presented to the Scrutiny Committees on a monthly basis. This information, together with the Annual Report, will be available on the Council's website, it is also noted that Scrutiny Committees are open to the public to attend Scrutiny Committee meetings to hear the debates unless any items are deemed to be Part II (confidential). Details of the Scrutiny process and how the public can become engaged are detailed in the Scrutiny Handbook, Scrutiny leaflets and all are available on the Council's website.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
5. There are no direct financial implications arising from the report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
6. None as a direct result of the report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
7. The Council is required to comply with the Local Government Act 2000, the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2011 and subordinate legislation in relation to the Scrutiny function.
Crime and Disorder Implications
8. None as a direct result of this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
9. None as a direct result of this report.
10. Improving and developing the effectiveness of Scrutiny towards the Community Leadership Corporate Plan objectives to "Develop a protocol for the public to give evidence at Scrutiny and Planning Committees and increase public participation in meetings." (2013-2017).
Policy Framework and Budget
11. Article 6 of the Council's Constitution requires the Scrutiny Committees' Annual Report be presented to Full Council and should include details of future work programmes.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
12. The reporting of Annual Scrutiny Committees' reports is an internal matter and, therefore, no external consultation is necessary.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Cabinet and Scrutiny Committee Minutes 2012/13
Jeff Rees, Principal Democratic and Scrutiny Services Officer
Tel: (01446) 709413