Agenda Item No. 8
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (LIFELONG LEARNING): 23 JUNE 2014
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 12 MAY 2014
C2327 LOCAL AUTHORITY EDUCATION SERVICES FOR CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE INSPECTION REPORT: PROGRESS REPORT (CS) (SCRUTINY COMMITTEE – LIFELONG LEARNING) –
Members were apprised of progress to date to implement the Post Inspection Action Plan.
The inspection of Local Authority Education Services for Children and Young People (LAESCYP) took place between 20 - 24 May 2013. The report was published on 17 September. The inspectors' overall judgement was 'adequate'. Capacity to improve was also judged to be 'adequate'.
The report included the following six recommendations:
- R1 Raise standards in schools, particularly in key stage 2 and key stage 3.
- R2 Improve the rigour and the level of challenge provided to schools about their performance and quality of leadership.
- R3 Use the full powers available to the authority to improve schools that were underperforming.
- R4 Make sure that planning for improvement was thorough and consistent throughout all services.
- R5 Ensure that robust systems were in place for evaluating the outcomes of initiatives and that they demonstrated good value-for-money.
- R6 Strengthen arrangements for monitoring and evaluating the wellbeing of children and young people.
The Post Inspection Action Plan (PIAP) was approved by Cabinet on 18 November, 2013. The PIAP provided a comprehensive action plan to address the recommendations of the inspectors and addressed the shortcomings they observed.
The PIAP had been amended to describe progress to date: in some places additional milestones had been added to assist the monitoring of progress. Other minor changes reflected changes to staff in some posts.
Appendix A, attached to the report, described the progress that was being made to implement the action plan: work was on schedule in relation to the implementation of the plan.
Estyn had indicated that they would monitor progress against the recommendations by way of three monitoring visits over a twelve month period between autumn 2014 and autumn 2015. The first monitoring visit by two inspectors over two days in autumn 2014 would assess progress in response to recommendations 2 and 6. The visit in spring 2015 would assess progress in relation to recommendations 3 and 4 and the final visit would review progress in relation to recommendations 1 and 5.
This was a matter for Executive decision.
(1) T H A T the progress to date to implement the Vale of Glamorgan Council LAESCYP Post Inspection Action Plan, as attached at Appendix A to the report be noted.
(2) T H A T the report be referred to Scrutiny Committee (Lifelong Learning) for consideration.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To ensure that Members were aware of the progress that had been made to implement the Post Inspection Action Plan (PIAP).
(2) To ensure that Scrutiny Committee (Lifelong Learning) could consider the progress that had been made and where further progress was required.
Attached as Appendix – Report to Cabinet – 12 MAY 2014