Agenda Item No. 10
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Scrutiny Committee (Social Care and Health): 13th January, 2014
Report of the Director of Resources
Scrutiny Decision Tracking of Recommendations
Purpose of the Report
1. To advise Members of progress in relation to recommendations made by the Scrutiny Committee for:
· 3rd Quarter - October to December 2013 (Appendix A).
2. To also obtain Members' views relating to progress against each recommendation, where further action may be required to ensure the required action is undertaken and to confirm those actions which are completed.
The views of the Committee on the status of the actions listed in Appendix A are sought.
Reason for the Recommendation
To maintain effective tracking of the Committee's recommendations.
3. An integral part of effective scrutiny is a mechanism for Scrutiny Committees to monitor their recommendations to ensure that desired actions are carried out and, where necessary, progress is reported back. This process also acknowledges recommendations contained in the WAO Democratic Renewal report and will also improve monitoring of Scrutiny Performance Indicators. It is intended that such tracking reports are submitted to Scrutiny Committees on a quarterly basis.
Relevant Issues and Options
4. The attached Appendix sets out the recommendations of the Scrutiny Committee and Members are requested to review the progress against each recommendation, to assess where further action may be required to ensure the required action is undertaken and to confirm which recommendations are accepted as completed.
5. It is important that decisions of Scrutiny Committees are tracked and monitored in this way as failure to do so could result in a risk that recommended courses of action will not be followed and consequently "lost". This would undermine the credibility of the scrutiny process.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
6. None as a direct result of this report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
7. None as a direct result of this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
8. None as a direct result of this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
9. None as a direct result of this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
10. None as a direct result of this report.
11. None as a direct result of this report.
Policy Framework and Budget
12. This report is in accordance with the recommendations of the WAO Democratic Renewal Report and acknowledges the recommendations of the recent review of the Council's scrutiny function.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
13. Not applicable given the issue is an internal matter.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Relevant Scrutiny Committee and Cabinet Minutes.
Mr. C. Hope, (Tel: 01446 709855)
Siân Davies, Director of Resources