Agenda Item No. 11(i)
Matter which the Chairman has decided is urgent by virtue of the need to ensure timely information is provided regarding the closure of Crossroads Care Cardiff and Vale
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Scrutiny Committee (Social Care and Health): 16th June, 2014
Report of the Director of Social Services
Closure of Crossroads Care Cardiff and Vale
Purpose of the Report
1. This report provides an update for elected members in relation to the Closure of Crossroads Care Cardiff and Vale.
1. That Scrutiny Committee notes the report.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To updated elected members.
2. On 11th June 2014 the Council was notified that Crossroads Care Cardiff and the Vale were to cease trading at the end of the day on 11th June 2014. The staff of Crossroads Care worked with the administrators, Cardiff Council and other parties to ensure that the sudden closure created as little disruption to Carers as possible.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. The organisation provided support to a generic range of carers in Cardiff and provided a small number of non EMI support packages in the Vale of Glamorgan. Arrangements have been made to ensure the ongoing care and support for these individuals and their families.
4. Crossroads Care in the Vale (EMI), is an entirely separate charity and a separate company limited by guarantee. This organisation provided a specialist service and only supports carers of those with late onset mental illness. This service only operates in the Vale.
5. Crossroads Care in the Vale (EMI) provide support to individuals in the community and provide a specialist day care provision in Barry. These services have not been affected by the events in Cardiff.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
6. There are no resource implications as a direct result of this report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
7. There are no sustainability and climate change implications as a direct result of this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
8. There are no legal implications as a direct result of this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
9. There are no crime and disorder implications as a direct result of this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
10. There are no equal opportunities implications as a direct result of this report.
· Not applicable.
Policy Framework and Budget
11. The report is in accordance with the Council's policy framework and budget.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
12. Not applicable.
Phil Evans, Director of Social Services