Agenda Item No. 4
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (SOCIAL CARE AND HEALTH): 14 JULY 2014
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 16 JUNE 2014
C2347 CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE SERVICES – COMMISSIONING STRATEGY AND ACTION PLAN 2013 – 2018 (CS) (SCRUTINY COMMITTEES – SOCIAL CARE AND HEALTH & LIFELONG LEARNING) –
Members were updated on progress made in implementing the Children and Young People Services Commissioning Strategy and Action Plan 2013-18.
On 4 March, 2013, Cabinet considered the draft Children and Young People Services Commissioning Strategy and Action Plan. A copy of the Strategy was attached at Appendix 1 to the report. The Strategy contained four key objectives:
- To support families to stay together and reduce the need for children to be looked after by ensuring a focus on early intervention and preventative action across all service provision for children, including statutory and independent providers.
- To manage risk confidently and provide support at the 'edge of care’ by making sure that need and risk are accurately assessed and receive the proper response, so that the right children are accommodated at the right time. This includes supporting families by making private arrangements within their wider family networks.
- To provide and commission a flexible and affordable mix of high quality placements that meet the diverse range of children’s needs.
- To give children clearly planned journeys through care which remain focused on achieving care plans; prevent drift; enable them to be reunited with family and friends where possible; provide them with stable placements and opportunities to exit the care system positively.
To ensure that the Strategy was implemented effectively, work had been focused on the following key areas:
- preventing children and young people becoming looked after where this was not necessary to safeguard their welfare;
- enabling those who do come into care to be rehabilitated back to their family network, where it was safe to do so;
- providing the best possible outcomes for those who remain accommodated; and
- increasing the range of placement options available for looked after children.
An updated Action Plan was attached at Appendix 2 to the report and confirmed good progress in the first year of the Strategy. Many of the actions had been completed while other longer-term measures were on track and on time. It will be important to ensure a continuing and coordinated effort that built on the achievements to date.
This was a matter for Executive decision.
(1) T H A T the progress made in delivering the Children and Young People Services Commissioning Strategy Action Plan attached at Appendix 1 to the report be noted.
(2) T H A T the report be referred to the Scrutiny Committees (Social Care and Health and Lifelong Learning), for information.
(3) T H A T Cabinet and the Scrutiny Committees (Social Care and Health and Lifelong Learning), continue to receive six-monthly progress updates on the Children and Young People Services Commissioning Strategy and Action Plan 2013-18.
Reason for decisions
(1 - 3) To provide Members with opportunities to exercise oversight of a key strategic document for the Council.
Attached as Appendix – Report to Cabinet – 16 JUNE 2014