Agenda Item No 4
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Welsh Church Act Estate Committee: 23rd January 2017
Report of the Head of Finance
Lane to the Rear of Church Road, Cadoxton
Purpose of the Report
- To provide Committee with an update further to previous reports and discussions in relation to this matter and to seek Committees views on the options presented by the Councils Highways department for the future management and maintenance of the lane.
- To seek approval for the Head of Finance to accept (in consultation with the Chairman) the most competitive quotation when obtained for the preferred option subject to a maximum budget of £20k.
- That Committee consider the options presented by the Councils Highways department and determine which option to pursue;
- That Committee authorise the Head of Finance (in consultation with the Chairman) to accept the most competitive quotation when obtained for the preferred option subject to a maximum budget of £20k.
Reasons for the Recommendations
- To keep Committee apprised of options for the future management and maintenance of the lane and to seek the necessary authority to pursue Committees favoured option.
- To allow work on the preferred option to progress without delay.
- The lane to the rear of Church Road, Cadoxton is owned by the Welsh Church Act Estate Committee at the location highlighted in the plan at Appendix A.
- The lane is located to the rear of houses along Church Road and abuts land in third party ownership at Bastian Close.
- In recent years residents have made complaints to Council Officers and the Committee via the Chairman in relation to the overgrown nature of the land and the fly tipped rubbish accumulating in the lane. Committee may recall previous reports of 21st November 2011, 26 March 2012 and 25 July 2012 in connection with this matter The lane has been cleared of rubbish on a number of occasions over the past few years and more recently, a new block wall has been erected on the boundary to Bastian Close in order to deter fly tipped material from being deposited from the Bastian Close side of the lane.
- However, whilst this wall has assisted in part, there has continued to be a number of complaints concerning the state of the lane and fly tipped material continues to be a problem.
- The lane has recently been cleared of rubbish and the vegetation cut back again, however a longer term solution for the management and maintenance of the lane is required as previously reported to Committee. The Council's Highway Design & Construction Manager has been consulted in respect of possible options for Committee to consider and has been invited to attend Committee to present his report and options for consideration.
Relevant Issues and Options
- The brief options paper is attached at Appendix B and the Highway Design & Construction Manager will present these options for Committees consideration.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
- There are indicative costs attached to each option at Appendix B, however these are purely provided as a guide at this stage to enable discussion and will need to be verified by Highways colleagues. It is proposed that authority be given to the Chairman of this Committee to agree the final costs for the chosen option, subject to a maximum budget of £20k not being exceeded to conclude this matter. A cost above £20k would be reported back to Committee for approval prior to any commitment to appoint contractors. This would be funded from the Welsh Church Act's accumulated reserve which was £100k at 31st March 2016.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
- None directly related to this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
- The Committee have a duty to manage lands and property held by them in accordance with the Scheme of Trust and with Charity Law.
Crime and Disorder Implications
- It is hoped that progressing with Committees preferred option will reduce fly tipping and other anti-social behaviour on the Trusts land.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
- There are no equal opportunities implications as a direct result of this report.
- The sole concern of the Committee is to act in the best interest of the Trust.
Policy Framework and Budget
- No applicable.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
- Since members of this Committee are acting as Committee Members independent of other Council resolutions, no further consultation has taken place.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
- Not applicable.
Lorna Cross, Operational Manager Property
Mike Walsh, Legal Services - Committee Reports
John Launchbury, Highway Design & Construction Manager
Gemma Jones, Principal Accountant
Head of Finance