School Transport Policy
Consultation on the proposed amendments to the Vale of Glamorgan’s School/College Transport policy (effective from September 2017)
The Vale of Glamorgan Council currently has three distinct policies for school and college transport:
• Mainstream School Transport
• Additional Learning Needs Transport
• Transport Policy for pupils aged 16-19 (College)
The Council has decided to update and amalgamate these three polices into one.
Having one distinct and clear policy will make it easier for Vale of Glamorgan residents to understand entitlement and associated policies:
• School/College Transport Policy (Draft -September 2017)
The combined policy has minimal changes from the current policy which are highlighted below:
- There is NO change to the provision of free school transport for statutory aged school pupils.
- There is NO change to the provision of free school transport for pupils attending Year 12 and 13.
- Pupils aged between 16 and 19 who are attending further education establishments will only be eligible for free transport if they attend an establishment in the Vale of Glamorgan, Cardiff or Bridgend and live over 3 miles from the establishment which is the nearest offering the course they wish to study.
- Pupils awarded free transport in error will only receive free transport up until term break.
Comments on the proposal for a combined school/college transport policy are welcome and can be submitted via telephone, email or in writing. Contact details for the School Transport team are below.
The School Transport Team
School Transport Policy Consultation
Vale of Glamorgan Council
The closing date for the consultation is Wednesday 20 July 2016.
Following on from the closing date of the consultation a report will be submitted to the Vale of Glamorgan Council Cabinet detailing responses and a decision sought on the implementation of the policy from September 2017.