In the licence and for the purpose of these conditions (except in so far as the context otherwise requires) the following expressions shall have the meanings respectively assigned to them:
Approved means the acceptance in writing by the Petroleum Licensing Authority.
Approved arrangements means those arrangements relating to the design, construction and mode of operation of the licensed premises, which accord with the plans and specifications approved by the Petroleum Licensing Authority.
Inspector means a person duly appointed in writing by the Petroleum Licensing Authority, under Section 19 of the Health & Safety at Work etc. Act 1974.
Competent Person means a person with enough practical and theoretical knowledge, training and actual experience to carry out a particular task safely and effectively. The person should have the necessary ability in the particular operation of the type of plant and equipment with which they are concerned, an understanding of relevant statutory requirements and an appreciation of the hazards involved. That person should also be able to recognise the need for specialist advice or assistance when necessary and to assess the importance of the results of examinations and tests. A ‘person’ can be taken to mean more than one, or a body corporate or unincorporated. It is therefore possible to appoint appropriate organisations (e.g. insurance companies or inspection bodies) to carry out tasks designated for competent persons.
Dangerous Substance means the same as that defined in the Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002.
Licence means a licence authorising the keeping of petroleum-spirit issued by a Petroleum Licensing Authority pursuant to the Petroleum (Regulation) Acts 1928 and 1936.
Licensed premises means the premises in respect of which the licence is in force and shall include all buildings or parts of a building, tanks, pipework, pumps, dispensers, drainage, ancillary equipment, and forecourt area within that part of the premises relevant to the storage, delivery and dispensing of petroleum-spirit.
Material alterations means any alteration, which could effect the risks from fire and explosion at the Licensed Premises and will include:
- the change of or cessation of the use of the licensed premises
- the removal, temporary or permanent decommissioning, repair, replacement, modification or installation of any tank used for the storage of petroleum-spirit and any, pipeline or vapour pipeline associated with the storage and dispensing of petroleum-spirit
- the change in use of a tank used to store petroleum-spirit
- the removal without replacement of any petroleum-spirit pumps/dispensers
- the installation of any pump/dispenser in a new location
- the removal or installation of any part of the site’s leak detection, spillage or delivery control system
- a change in the Mode of Operation of the dispensing equipment
- the removal or installation of any electrical equipment within the hazardous areas of the licensed premises
- the construction of any buildings or works within the hazardous areas or elsewhere on the licensed premises
- the storage or cessation of storage of any other dangerous substances on the licensed premises
Petroleum Licensing Authority means the Vale of Glamorgan Council.
Petroleum-spirit means the same as that defined in section 23 of the Petroleum (Consolidation) Act 1928
Mode of operation means:
- ‘attended service’ where a trained attendant operates the dispensing equipment
- ‘attended self-service’ where the customers operate the dispensing equipment under the supervision of a trained attendant
- ‘unattended self-service’ or ‘unmanned sites’ where the customers operate the dispensing equipment without the supervision of a trained attendant.
Suitable container means:
- a metal container satisfying the constructional and labelling requirements of the Petroleum-spirit (Motor Vehicles etc) Regulations 1929
- a plastic container satisfying the constructional and labelling requirements of the Petroleum-spirit (Plastic Containers) Regulations 1982
- a demountable fuel tank of a motor boat or similar vessel
- a United Nations approved container for the carriage of petrol.
Supply means sell or provide.