Renting Privately

Legalities regarding tenancies can often be confusing to people, here at the Vale of Glamorgan our Housing Advice team can offer support and assistance surrounding the follow issues.


We can liaise with your landlord in regards to the following areas to try to resolve any disputes, or refer you to other advice agencies to enable you to stay in your current home:

  • If your landlord is harassing you
  • If you have been served with a notice to quit
  • If you are in rent arrears
  • If the property is in poor repair
  • If you have a dispute with your landlord regarding your deposit


If you have a problem seek advice as soon as possible  

  • 01446 700111 


There is a good supply of privately rented accommodation within the Vale of Glamorgan. Renting privately offers:

  • Choice – a range of accommodation including flats and houses
  • Flexibility – you are able to choose the area rather than it is chosen for you
  • Speed – Both furnished and un-furnished properties are available now


It is recommended that when you are thinking of, or need to move that you realistically look at what you can afford.


  • Can I afford It?
    If you are on a low income you may qualify for Housing Benefit, the amount you may get will depend on your age and income. Remember, you will also need to cover the costs of other bills such as council tax, gas, electricity and water etc. A Housing Benefit calculator is available 
  • Will Housing Benefit fully cover the rent?
    The maximum amount that can be paid to you depends on the size of the property that your household needs and is set by the Local Housing Allowance rates for the area. The Local Housing Allowance only applies to private rented tenants and not those who are tenants of Housing Associations or Local Authorities. 
  • What if I cannot afford to pay a bond?

    If you are homeless or threatened with homelessness and do not have savings or access to monies to pay a bond the Vale of Glamorgan’s Housing Advice team may be able to help. They will access your housing needs and if you meet the criteria for help may be able to offer the Landlord a bond guarantee certificate. They can be contacted on 01446 709567. If you are in receipt of qualifying benefits there are other organisations or charities that may be able to help, these are;

     - The Tabernacle Church on 02920 702690

     - Your local department of works and pension (job centre)


    If you have a live Housing Benefit claim you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment for help with a bond and rent in advance.


    Remember if you pay your landlord a cash bond they must by law deposit it under one of the Governments authorised tenancy deposit schemes, they must inform you within 30 days which scheme they have deposited it in.

  • How long will I be able to stay?
    Tenancies are generally “assured short hold” (AST) for 6 or 12 months. They can usually be extended as long as you have not breached any of the terms of your tenancy agreement. 
  • What about furniture?

    There are both furnished and unfurnished properties available on the market to rent. However, if you need help in furnishing a property there are many organisations or charities  that can offer good quality affordable items that will enable you to set up a home, for example;

     - Track 2000

     - Freecycle

     - Gumtree


    Additionally, many of the charity shops such as The British Heart Foundation and the Salvation Army have outlet stores that offer low cost furniture; the locations of these are available on the individual websites.

  • How can I find a property?

    The landlord Accreditation Wales websites provides details of landlords who are accredited and should therefore provide well managed accommodation. Similarly, the ALMA website provides information about Letting Agents who manage properties on behalf of landlords.

    Other ways of finding accommodation to suit your needs are;

     - Looking in the local papers

     - Adverts in shops

     - Gumtree

     - Local estate agents


    If you are in accommodation that is owned by a Local Authority or a Housing Association and want to move to another area, wish to increase or downsize due to the bedroom tax then you can register with Homeswapper which is a nationwide mutual exchange service that provides mobility to the social housing sector.