Becoming a Registered Childminder

Childminders work in their own home and are registered to care for no more than ten children under 12 (including their own children).


Due to the nature of the job childminders can sometimes offer flexible hours such as evening, weekends or in some cases overnight care.


Childminders are registered with the Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW).  Please be aware that any person working in their own home and rewarded (financially or payment in kind) for looking after children under 12 years for more than 2 hours a day must be registered with the CIW. The CIW has produced a new guide for people wishing to register as a childminder:

To become registered you must:

  • Be over 18 years of age
  • Attend a briefing session, arranged by the Early Years Development and Childcare Partnership (EYDCP), Vale of Glamorgan Council.

Please contact the Family Information Service (FIS) to book onto the next briefing session. The Childminder Network Facilitator will then contact you when the next session is arranged. Alternatively you can complete a PACEY online briefing session. However there is a charge:


You can contact them on 0845 8801229 or


  • Successfully complete the training to become a Registered Childminder.

This is the CYPOP 5 course and is provided by the EYDCP. Some places are funded depending if you live in an area where childminders are needed. Some people will receive a part funded place and some will have to fund themselves. It costs approximately £249 inc vat, for both the online and face to face courses:




PACEY also offer a similar course, however there is a charge - £249.99 for face to face and for online: 


  • Submit parts one and two of your application to CSSIW.

You can now download an application form from the CSSIW website and find all of the information about becoming a registered childminder: Please be aware that you and all members of your household over the age of 16 must undergo a Disclosure and Barring Scheme (DBS) enhanced disclosure:





Other information:

  • Childminders are self employed

You will need to negotiate a contract for your service and you will be responsible for paying your own tax and national insurance contributions. For more information, visit the HMRC website. HMRC also have some useful e-learning packages for childminders. Please visit our 'Providers' page for more information:



  • Many registered childminders are members of the Professional Association of Childcare and Early Years (PACEY)



  • Childminders must be registered with the CIW and must meet the National Minimum Standards for Regulated Childcare for children up to the age of 12 years

You can download these and other useful documents from the CIW website:




Please contact the Family Information Service and we can provide you with reports showing the number of childcare settings in the Vale and the area they are located; the number of enquires we've received to our service for information about childcare; maps giving you an idea of the location of childminders.  


Please keep in touch with us once you register as a childminder as we can advertise your vacancies to the public and send you information about training and grants available.


Childcare Approval Scheme

If you would prefer to care for children in the child's home, such as a nanny, you can apply to be an Approved Child Carer. The benefits to you are:

  • You will be part of a scheme that is recognised across Wales.
  • You can demonstrate to employers that you meet the basic requirements for childcare including an enhanced DBS check, suitable childcare qualification and current first aid certificate.
  • Parents can then receive help with the cost of childcare through tax or benefit support.


Social Care Wales List of recognised qualifications

You need to have a minimum level 3 qualification in childcare or CYPOP5. The CYPOP 5 childminding qualification is suitable. Therefore, you could attend a childminding briefing session and apply to the Early Years Development and Childcare Partnership for possible funding for the course. For more information, contact the Family Information Service.


For more information visit our page on the Childcare Approval Scheme:


Childcare Approval Scheme

To apply to become an Approved Child Carer, visit the CIW website:


CIW Website




Family Information Service