Becoming a Childminder

Information for those wishing to start a career in childminding in the Vale of Glamorgan


Childminding is when a person is paid to look after one or more child under the age of 12 on domestic premises, for example their home.


Childminders can offer: Full day care and part time care including before and afterschool provision including atypical hours e.g, evening, weekends and overnight, provision, wrap around care, provision during the school holidays, funded education places, and free childcare places.


S12 3208  Vale FIS RGB Flat

Contact Us:

We can provide you with information on childminders in your area and the number of enquiries we've had for childcare in your area.



To become a childminder you must:


  • Complete a Briefing Session

     Vale of Glamorgan's Early Years Development and Childcare Partnership (EYDCP) offer FREE Childminder Briefing Sessions to anyone interested in becoming a childminder in the Vale of Glamorgan.
    The next briefing session will take place on: Wednesday 10 June 2020, 6.30pm - 8.00pm at the Civic Offices, Holton Road, Barry CF63 4RU.

    Contact Vale Family Information Service to book your place 01446 704704. 

    If you are unable to attend the next free briefing session, you can pay to complete an Online Briefing Session through PACEY.


    PACEY Online Briefing Session

  • Complete a Pre-Registration Course: 

    Complete units 326 Introduction to home-based childcare (IHC) and 327 Preparing for Childminding Practice (PCP).

    These are worth 10 credits towards full Level 3 Diploma in Children’s Care Play Learning and Development.

    Both units can be completed online at a cost of £360, or part online with two full day workshops, at a cost of £390 including VAT.


    To become a registered Childminder you will need to pass both units.


    Those wishing to register as a childminder offering a service in the medium of Welsh, or in areas lacking in childcare, or have experience of caring for children with additional needs, might be eligible for a £150 contribution towards 1 year's PACEY membership, Public Liability Insurance and PACEY Business Pack (‘Tools of the Trade’). These would be subject to council budget funding at the time funds are requested. 


    You will also need to complete a 12 hour Paediatric First Aid course, Child Protect/Safeguarding and Food Hygiene/Safety.


    Please contact Sue O’Neill Childminder Network Facilitator on 07813 040115 for more information.


    To be registered under the Voluntary Home Approval Scheme (as a nanny in the child’s own home) you will need to pass the first unit 326 Introduction to home-based childcare (IHC).  You may want to consider this as a career, for more information:


    Voluntary Home Approval Scheme









  • Contact Vale of Glamorgan Planning Department 

    You will need to contact Vale of Glamorgan Planning department to discuss your plans to run a childminding business from your home.

    You will need to comply with their recommendations.

    Contact them on 01446 704700 or email: planning&


    More information can be found: 


    Planning and Childcare in Wales

  • Complete and Submit Your Application to Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW) 

    Once you have completed your pre-registration units and a 12 hour Paediatric First Aid, you will need to create an online account with Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW) and complete an online application.  This will include health reference from your doctor, details of your qualifications and certificates and DBS Enhanced Disclosure for you and all household all members aged 16 years or over. 


    All gas appliances including gas fired boilers will require a Gas Safe check together with a safety certificate. 




    Register to become a Childminder

  • Register with Information Commissioners Office (ICO): 

    If you plan to store certain data electronically and/or take digital photos on a mobile, phone, tablet etc. you will need to register with the ICO.
    Only register once you have been registered as a childminder by Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW).
    For more information:  


    Data Protection Fee



  • Register with Shared Regulatory Services: 

    If you plan to provide food including light snacks you will need to register with Shared Regulatory Services / Environmental Health.


    Shared Regulatory Services

  • Register as Self-Employed with HMRC 

     As a childminder you'll need to register as self-employed with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) and keep records/receipts.  


    HMRC - Tax Advice for Childminders

  • Meet the National Minimum Standards for Regulated  Childcare for Children up to the age of 12 years

    Childminders must be registered with CIW and must meet the National Minimum Standards. These are Minimum Standards for registration and in order to provide quality childcare, the general expectation is that you work toward ensuring that these basic standards are exceeded. 



    National Minimum Standards for Regulated Childcare


Once you have registered...

Please get in touch with us once you register as a childminder so we can promote your service free of charge to families across the Vale and keep you updated with training and funding opportunities.


Promote your service on our FIS Wales Database