Cost of Living Support Icon

Universal Credit

Universal Credit (UC) is replacing new claims for a number of benefits

  • Income Based Jobseeker’s Allowance

  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

  • Income Support

  • Child Tax Credit

  • Working Tax Credit

  • Housing Benefit


Once you make a claim for UC in place of one or more of the above you will then receive one single monthly payment, which will be made into your bank account. 


It is to help those who are looking for work or on a low income.


There are some exceptions where you may still need to claim Housing Benefit. In some circumstances if you have 3 or more children, are in temporary accommodation, having been  placed by our Homelessness Department, or are residing in accommodation, where you get extra support whilst living at that property (This is called Specified Accommodation). 


If you are already receiving one or more of the above benefits this will continue until a relevant change in your circumstance means you need to make a new claim for Universal Credit.



  • What happens if I can’t claim online?

    Universal Credit is an online claim and also needs to be managed online.  We can offer some help to advise which places you can go to get online if you don’t have access, or if you need some assistance.  For more information please contact us on 01446 709244 or e-mail  The Jobcentre will also be able to advise you.


  • I have always had weekly payments and I have never budgeted for monthly payments

    We may be able to assist you with some budgeting advice if you need some.  Please contact us on 01446 709244 or e-mail and we can arrange an appointment.

    Alternatively there is a lot of budgeting advice on the Money Advice Service website. 


  • I can’t wait 6 weeks before I get a payment how can I manage?

    You can ask for an advance of your Universal Credit which is up to 100% of your expected award and this will then be deducted from your ongoing Universal Credit award.




    Get an advance first payment



  • I still have a shortfall in my rent after my housing costs have been paid by UC?

    Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP’s are for people who either receive Housing Benefit or Universal Credit which includes a housing element, and need extra help with paying their rent.  We only have a limited amount of money within the fund to make these payments and so are only aimed to be short term help. 




    Discretionary Housing Payments



  • Will Universal Credit pay towards my Council Tax bill?

    You will need to claim Council Tax Reduction with your Local Authority as this is not covered by Universal Credit.  


    Claim Council Tax Reduction