Council publishes its Annual Report
The Improvement Plan Part 2 reports on the Council’s performance over the previous year, using a range of national and local data.
The Improvement Plan (Part 2) reports our progress in achieving the Well-being Objectives we set ourselves in the previous year in our forward looking plan.
Some of the key achievements outlined in this year's report are:
- Highest year 11 pupil performance (calculated using the Welsh Government ‘Capped 9’ measure)
- Lowest number of year 11 leavers not in education, training or employment
- Best performing in relation to the number of households threatened with homelessness being successfully prevented from becoming homeless
- Most number of empty private sector properties brought back into use
- Lowest amount of rent lost due to lettable council homes being empty.
- Gained national recognition for our work on preventing homelessness and was shortlisted for a UK ‘Homelessness Project of the Year’ Award.
- During 2018/19 there were 11,643 visits to local authority sports and leisure facilities during the year per 1,000 population, the 3rd highest in Wales.
- Our Domestic Abuse Referral service gained national recognition for its work in contributing to reducing repeat incidences of domestic abuse/violence and was a shortlisted finalist in the UK Housing Awards for Innovation.
- Top performing authority in Wales in relation to GCSE results, with over a quarter of pupils achieving 5 or more GCSEs grades A* to A (a 3% increase on the previous year)
- Successfully completed our Wales Housing Quality Standard Programme, which upgraded 3,800 council-owned homes and significantly enhanced levels of tenant satisfaction.
- Successfully piloted the delivery of the ‘Buy with Confidence’ Scheme across the Vale to provide residents with peace of mind when shopping/ choosing a tradesperson with the Trading Standards endorsement.
- Successfully achieved Green Flag status for 10 of our parks in recognition of the good quality parks and green spaces available to Vale residents to enjoy all year round.
For more information please read the summary of the report or the full report.
Hard copies of the plan will also be made available in libraries and at council receptions.