Cost of Living Support Icon

Empty Homes

The Vale of Glamorgan Council in partnership with Welsh Government is providing interest free loans and Empty Homes Grants to improve homes in poor condition. 

There can be several reasons why a property is empty and the Vale of Glamorgan Council is committed to working with owners to find solutions to bring empty homes back into use.

Empty Homes banner

A long-term empty property is usually easy to identify as it may be neglected or in a state of disrepair. Some tell-tale signs may include:

  • Large amount of uncollected post building up inside the front door

  • Garden not being maintained or rubbish remaining or building up at the property

  • Signs of disrepair and external damage e.g. broken windows, damaged roof

  • Property is boarded up


An empty home can be brought back into use by selling or renting the property. The Vale of Glamorgan Council offer a number of initiatives to support owners to bring empty homes back into use and can provide you with advice and assistance in doing this.


Dripping tap iconInterest Free Empty Property Loans and Empty Homes Grants

Empty Property Loans are interest free loans made available to enable the renovation and improvement of single properties or the conversion of empty properties into a number of units, so that they are suitable for use as residential accommodation.


There are two types Empty Property Loans: Landlord Loans and Empty Property Owner Occupier Loans.


Empty Homes Grants are now also available to assist property owners with the cost of making an empty property safe and secure prior to moving in.  


Interest Free Empty Property Loans and Empty Homes Grants  

Pencil and spanner iconVAT Discounts for Empty Homes

If you are bringing an empty property back into use that has not been lived in during the 2 years immediately before your work starts and is intended for use solely for a ‘relevant residential purpose’ you may be eligible for a reduced rate VAT.


VAT Discounts for Empty Homes

rentsmartwales-logoRent Smart Wales 

Under the Housing (Wales) Act 2014, there are new legal obligations on landlords who have rental property in Wales. The Rent Smart Wales website - explains these obligations and will help you to understand the process.


Landlord Registration: Any landlord who has a rental property in Wales which is rented on an assured, assured shorthold or regulated tenancy is required to register.


Landlord Licensing: Landlords who are not involved in setting up tenancies and managing their rental properties do not need a licence; however they must use a licensed agent and register as a landlord declaring their agent on the registration.


Rent Smart Wales

House iconRenting Options

There are a range of renting options available

  • Leasing or letting your property via a Housing Association/Registered Social Landlord (RSL)

  • Housing options and rental through the Vale of Glamorgan Council

  • Renting your property through a private letting agent


Renting Options

For Sale iconSelling Options

If you own a property that is currently empty and want to sell it, you can inform the Empty Homes and Loans Officer and the property details will be forwarded to the Vale of Glamorgan Council (Housing team) and the partner Registered Social Landlords who may be interested in purchasing an empty property and/or land.


In addition, the Council hold a list of private landlords and investors who may be interested in purchasing empty property and we can ensure that your property details are circulated to interested parties.


Selling Options

worker iconEnforcement Action

The Vale of Glamorgan Council is pro-active in returning empty properties to use. We wish to work with owners of empty properties for the benefit of the community.Where it is recognised that an empty property is insecure, causing a nuisance or left derelict, an officer will visit the property to determine the necessary action.


Where possible, the officer will try to work with owners to find the best solution in bringing empty properties back into use.


Enforcement Action   Enforced Sale Policy


Do you have concerns or a complaint regarding an empty home?

If you do, click on the box below to access the Shared Regulatory Service (SRS) website for further information.


SRS website




If you have any queries regarding an empty home, please contact:


Empty Homes and Loans Officer

Regeneration and Planning

The Vale of Glamorgan Council

1st Floor Dock Offices

Subway Road


CF63 4RT


Empty Homes Privacy Policy