Birth, Marriage and Death Certificates
Birth certificates are a good place to begin searching your family tree and if you only have limited information regarding your parents, then you can begin with your own birth certificate.
Marriage certificates can sometimes be even better as they often show not only the couples’ names, but also the names of their fathers and their professions.
All standard birth, death and marriage certificates (full copies of a register entry) are an exact copy of the details recorded in the register.
APPLICATION FOR BIRTH, MARRIAGE, DEATH CERTIFICATE
Standard Birth Certificate:
- Date and place of birth
- Child’s full name and sex
- Names of both parents (if entered in the register)
- Parent’s address
- Maiden surname of child’s mother (if applicable)
- Date and place of the marriage
- Names of parties marrying
- Ages and occupations of parties marrying
- Address of both parties at the time of the marriage
- Name, surname and occupation of both their fathers (if entered in the register)
- Date and place of death
- Maiden surname of a woman (if applicable)
- Either the age at time of death or date and place of birth
- Cause of death
- Last occupation held and address of deceased (if a married or widowed lady, her husband’s name and surname)
- Name and surname of person who registered the death including their relationship to the deceased