Building Regulations apply in England and Wales and exist principally to ensure the health and safety of people in and around buildings. They also provide for access to and around buildings and energy conservation.
Building Regulations will probably apply if you intend to:
- Make structural alterations to an existing building (including underpinning).
- Change the use of an existing building (in certain cases).
- Provide, extend or alter drainage facilities.
- Provision of a space heating or hot water service boiler.
- Provision of a hot water vessel.
- Erect a new building or extend an existing building (unless the building or extension is exempt from control under the regulations)
- Provision of a new window, rooflight, roof window or door (being a door, which together with its frame has more than 50 % of its internal face area glazed).