Cost of Living Support Icon

Building Regulations Applications


Do I need Building Regulation Approval? 

Building Regulations are usually required for the following projects:

  • Re Roof (if more than 50% of the roof is replaced building regulations apply)

  • Detached outbuildings, offices or garden rooms. Please contact office for further guidance

  • Make structural alterations to an existing building (including underpinning)

  • Change the use of an existing building (in certain cases)

  • Provide, extend or alter drainage facilities

  • Provision of a space heating or hot water service boiler

  • Provision of a hot water vessel

  • Erect a new building or extend an existing building (unless the building or extension is exempt from control under the regulations)

  • Provision of a new window, rooflight, roof window or door (being a door, which together with its frame has more than 50% of its internal face area glazed)

There are a number of exemptions that do not need Building Regulations approval - subject to certain criteria on size, construction and position relative to boundaries being met.

Examples may include: Garden sheds, Summer-houses, Domestic garages, Greenhouses, Conservatories, Porches and Carports.


Making a Building Regulation Application

Submit a building control application by post or email

Please note: The online planning portal is currently unavailable. Please submit a building control application by post or email while we work to get online applications up and running again. We apologise for any inconvenience.



Completed forms can be returned to:




Building Control, The Vale of Glamorgan Council, Dock Office, Barry Docks, Barry, CF63 4RT.


For advice and guidance on making an application please download a copy of the Building Control Information Sheet.


There are three types of application you can make:  


Full Plans

This is the most widely known and used option, where scaled plans clearly indicating the proposed constructional details and where necessary supporting structural calculations, have to be submitted.


You will need to submit:


Building Notice

This method is recommended for minor works in residential properties only. This form cannot be used where works have commenced or where the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 applies.


You will need to submit:

You may commence work on site after giving the Local Authority 2 days working notice, in writing.

Regularisation Application

This applies to alterations or extensions carried out to buildings without first applying for a building regulation or without giving notice of statutory inspections required. For works undertaken after 11 November 1985 you can now apply to building control to regularise the situation and obtain a regularisation certificate.


The council is under no obligation to accept an application or issue a Regularisation certificate if we are not satisfied that the requirements of the building regulations have been achieved. 


You will need to submit:


Demolition Application

If you intend to demolish a building with a capacity of more than 50 cubic metres, written notice must be provided specifying the works intended. Demolition may not commence until you have received a counter notice and complied with the conditions or 6 weeks have passed.


It is not permitted to demolish a listed building, or part of it, or any building situated in the Conservation Area, without the necessary consent or planning permission.


You will need to submit:


Fees and payments


Fees and payments for building control can be paid over the phone:

  • 01446704609


Make an online payment


Or make cheques payable to The Vale of Glamorgan Council and submit to Dock Office, Subway Road, Barry, CF63 4RT

Competent Persons Register

A Competent Person is a trades person or enterprise that has been adjudged to be sufficiently competent to self-certify that its work complies with the Building Regulations. 

Typically self certifying works may include, electrical work, gas installation, doors, windows and cavity insulation.


Further information can be found on the Government and Competent Person Register websites.