Cost of Living Support Icon

Social Services Complaints

If you are unhappy about the social services you are receiving, you have a right to complain. 

If you need this information in another language or in a different format, please contact us.


We aim for high standards but sometimes things do go wrong. We will only be able to help you and try to put things right if you tell us you are unhappy. Don't be afraid to complain. We welcome your comments, both positive and negative, because they may help us to improve our services for everyone.


Complaints Process

The complaints process has two stages. You may make your complaint at either Stage 1 or Stage 2:


Stage 1 - Local Resolution

The first step in sorting out a problem is to contact someone involved in providing the service, or, if you prefer, our complaints officer. We will offer to discuss your complaint with you (either face- to- face or by telephone) within 10 working days, to try and resolve matters. If this discussion leads to a resolution we will write to you with the details of the resolution within 5 working days of this discussion. This is known as local resolution.However, if you don’t want to try this, you can request that your complaint is moved onto the next stage.


Stage 2 - Formal Investigation

If you are not satisfied with the way your complaint has been resolved at Stage 1, you can ask for it to progress to Stage 2. At this stage, the person who investigates your complaint is independent of the local authority. Remember: you may still try mediation or another way forward if you want to do so. We will respond to you within twenty five working days. If this is impossible (for example when there is another investigation already going on), we will write to explain the delay.


If the complaint is not resolved

If your complaint is not resolved at the Formal investigation stage you have the right to complain to the Public Services Ombudsman for Wales. The Ombudsman’s office aims to complete all investigations within 12 months but most are concluded sooner.




Complaints Officer

Social Services Directorate

2nd Floor, Dock Offices

Barry, CF63 4RT


It is your right to complain if you are not happy with the quality of the services you receive and it is our duty to look into your complaint and try to resolve it.


Getting help to raise your concern

If you need help to raise a concern, Llais – your voice in health and social care can help you do this. Llais is an independent body and its free Advocacy service and can provide information, advice and support to members of the public who may wish to raise a concern.


Llais can support you to raise a concern and give advice on the most appropriate course of action. You can contact your local Llais office at the following address:


Advocacy Service

Llais – Cardiff & Vale of Glamorgan

Pro Copy Business Centre (Rear)

Parc Ty Glas



CF14 9DE