Cost of Living Support Icon
warm Spaces Icon

Disabled Facilities Grant

The Disabled Facilities Grant aims to give you better freedom of movement in and around your home. The grant helps toward the cost of adapting your home to meet your needs.


Owner occupiers, landlords and private tenants can apply for this grant to adapt a property, providing there is a disabled person living in the property as their main residence.


Council tenants and tenants of a housing association need to apply first to their landlords as they may get help to adapt their home without applying for a grant.

Your house might need some adaptations and adjustments to provide:

  • Better heating and lighting system and controls
  • Additional bathing facilities, for example a level access shower
  • Easier cooking, for example providing low level units
  • Bathroom conversion, for example providing level access shower, accessible WC and wash hand basin
  • Improved movement around the house and access to rooms and facilities, for example widening doors, ramps or stair lift

A qualified professional, such as an occupational therapist, will assess what works are suitable and necessary.

The amount you get depends on a financial assessment of your household income and savings over £6,000. This assessment is not required for families with disabled children under 19.

The maximum grant is generally £36,000, minus any assessed contribution from you.

Apply for Disabled Facilities Grant

If you want us to carry out and assessment to apply for the Disabled Facilities Grant please contact:

  • 01446 700111


Dewis Logo