SCHOOL ADMISSIONS AND EXCLUSIONS APPEAL PANEL MEMBERS
The Vale of Glamorgan Council is seeking to appoint people to serve on its School Appeals Panels. The Independent Education Appeals Panels adjudicate on Appeals by parents against decisions made by the Local Authority relating to both admissions to schools and exclusions from schools. Each Panel must consist of:
- This means people without personal experience in the management of any school or the provision of education in any school. People with experience in education in a voluntary capacity or as a Governor would be permitted.
- At least one non-Lay Member (Education Member);
- This means a person with experience in education who is acquainted with educational conditions in the Vale of Glamorgan area, or who is the parent of a pupil registered at another school.
We are looking to recruit Lay and Education Member positions. Appeal Panel Members do not receive payment for sitting on the Panel, although travel expenses are reimbursed and refreshments are provided. The amount of Appeals that Members attend during the year depends upon their availability and personal commitments. Hearings take place during the day between 9.00 a.m. and 5.00 p.m. Monday to Fridays and are usually either half or full day hearings.
Full training will be provided to new Members and a Clerk is always available to provide procedural advice.
Skills we are looking for:
- The ability to impartially listen to and evaluate arguments and evidence presented by both sides;
- Decisiveness – Appeal decisions are made soon after the hearing;
- Flexibility – Appeals are generally heard during working hours, your availability will always be sought prior to an Appeal hearing being set.
You will not be eligible for appointment as a Panel Member if you are:
- Any member of the Local Authority (LA) (e.g. Councillors), or of the Governing Body of the school in question.
- Anyone, other than a teacher from another school, employed by the LA or by the Governing Body.
- Any person who has, or who has ever had, any connection with the LA or the school (e.g. former members of the Governing Body), or with any member or employee of the LA or Governing Body such that doubts might reasonably be raised over his or her ability to act impartially regarding the LA or the school. Employment by the LA as a teacher is not in itself a reason for disqualifying someone from membership – unless there is another reason to call into question their ability to act in an impartial manner.
- Any person who was party to, or took part in, any discussions regarding the decision not to admit the child or young person about whom the appeal is concerned.
If you are interested in becoming a Panel Member please see application form:
Application for Appointment as a Member of Panel (Word version)
Application for Appointment as a Member of Panel (PDF version)
However, if you wish to discuss the position further, please contact Democratic Services contact details below:
Vale of Glamorgan Council
Tel: (01446) 709856