Agenda Item No. 6
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Audit Committee: 27th February 2018
Report of the Managing Director
Certification of Grants and Returns 2016-17
Purpose of the Report
- To present to Members the Council's External Auditor's report on the Grant work undertaken for 2016-17.
1. THAT Members review and note the content of this report.
Reason for the Recommendation
1. To facilitate monitoring of the audit function.
- The Council received and certified 9 grant claims and returns from government departments and other bodies requiring external audit certification in 2016-17, supporting income of circa £97.025m.
- The Wales Audit Office, as the Council's external auditors, is required to certify the claims submitted by the Council. This certification typically takes place some 6 - 12 months after the claim period and represents a final but important part of the process to confirm the Council's entitlement to funding.
- This report summarises the External Auditor's overall assessment of the Council's management arrangements in respect of the certification process and draws attention to significant matters in relation to individual claims.
Relevant Issues and Options
6. A summary of all claims and returns subject to certification is provided within the report attached at Appendix A, together with the certification fee and outcome of the External Auditor's review. The Council submitted all of its 2016-17 grant claims to the External Auditor on time and these have all been certified. Overall the External Auditors certified 9 grants and returns; 7 were certified with no issues arising; 1 required a qualification to the audit certificate with no amendment to the claim and 1 was both qualified and amended.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
8. As detailed in the body of the report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
9. None directly from this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
10. Under Paragraph 20 of Schedule 8 to the Government of Wales Act 2006 the Auditor General shall, if required by a local government or other grant-receiving body, make arrangements for certifying claims and returns.
Crime and Disorder Implications
11. None directly from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
12. None as a direct consequence of this report.
13. The report is consistent with the Council's corporate objectives to ensure effective management of resources.
Policy Framework and Budget
14. This report is in accordance with the policy framework and budget.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
15. No further consultation is proposed.
Carys Lord - Head of Finance and Section 151 Officer
External Audit - Wales Audit Office
Rob Thomas - Managing Director