Agenda Item No. 11
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet Meeting: 16 July, 2018
Report of the Leader
Cabinet Quarterly Work Programme July to September 2018
Purpose of the Report
- To advise Cabinet of the current position regarding work programming and to agree and approve the next Cabinet Quarterly Work Programme of the Cabinet / Council for the period July to September 2018. The report also seeks to align the future scheduling of the Cabinet Quarterly Work Programmes going forward to coincide with the quarterly work programmes of the Council's Scrutiny Committees as well as quarterly monitoring of performance.
- The report also recommends that future annual work programmes run from 1 April to 31 March, in order that this aligns with the quarterly work programmes and performance reporting.
- THAT the Quarterly Work Programme of the Cabinet / Council for the period July to September 2018 be approved.
- THAT future Quarterly Work Programmes of the Cabinet / Council run from October to December, January to March, April to June, and July to September to coincide with the quarterly work programmes of the Council's Scrutiny Committees and quarterly performance reporting.
- That future Annual Work Programmes run from 1 April to 31 March.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1&2 To comply with the requirements of the Local Government Act 2000, subordinate legislation and the Council's Constitution.
3 To fully align with other quarterly reporting on work programmes, performance and budgets.
- In accordance with the provisions of the Local Government Act 2000 and the Council's Constitution, the Cabinet Annual Strategic Forward Work Programme sets out matters which the Executive and Full Council are likely to consider during the period up to April 2018. The Annual Work Programme has until now run from May in any one year to April in the following year. This has been in order to accommodate the Annual General meeting. Recommendation 3 is included so that Annual Work Programme, in future years runs from 1 April to 31 March, in order that it aligns with other quarterly reporting as well as other performance and budget monitoring.
- The Cabinet Quarterly Work Programme attached at Appendix A sets out matters that are included in the Strategic Work Programme as well as other specific items that the Executive and Full Council are planning to consider during July to September 2018.
- The Forward Work Programme shall contain information on:
- The timetable for considering the budget and any plans forming part of the Policy Framework and requiring Council approval, and which body is to consider them.
- The timetable for considering any plans which are the responsibility of the Executive.
- Any individual matters which the Executive intends to consult on, in advance of taking any decision and the timetable for consultation and decision.
Relevant Issues and Options
- The current quarterly Work Programme of the Cabinet / Council runs for the period May through to end of July. This report provides a stock-take of that current work programme and sets out a revised and up to date work programme for the period July to September 2018. This will allow all future work programmes to follow the same pattern of quarterly reporting as scrutiny committees as well as other quarterly reporting relating to performance. The current work programme (May-July) is set out in Appendix A, and the replacement programme for July - September is set out in Appendix B. The work programme sets out the reports to be scheduled in the current quarter. It also indicates the potential role of Scrutiny as well as those reports that will be considered by Council. The work programme for July to September should be seen to replace the previous programme for May to July.
- All future reports on quarterly work programming will be presented to Cabinet prior to the commencement of the relevant quarter. The same will apply to the Annual Work Programme, which will in future be aligned to the period 1 April to 31 March.
- It is also proposed that in future, all Cabinet work programmes will be frequently updated on the web site to reflect the position with all reports that have been presented to Cabinet and Council.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
- There are no direct implications as a result of the report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications.
10. None applicable to this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
11. The preparation/publication of Forward Work Programmes complies with the requirements of the Local Government Act 2000, subordinate legislation and the Council's Constitution.
Crime and Disorder Implications
12. There are no direct implications as a result of this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
13. None applicable to this report.
14. The publication of a Forward Work Programme is an important element of the Council meeting its corporate/service objectives and maximising consultation with interested parties.
Policy Framework and Budget
15. This is a matter for Executive decision by Cabinet.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
16. Consultation with Scrutiny and other Committee is indicated in the Programme.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
17. All Scrutiny Committees.
Local Government Act 2000
Council Consultation: October 2002
Mark Petherick (Cabinet Officer)
Corporate Management Team