Agenda Item No. 9
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
COMMUNITY LIAISON COMMITTEE: 3 JULY 2018
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 30 APRIL 2018
C285 VALE OF GLAMORGAN COMMUNITY REVIEW (ERO) (SCRUTINY COMMITTEE – CORPORATE PERFORMANCE AND RESOURCES) -
Cabinet was apprised of the duty to conduct a community review and agree the commencement date for the next review.
The last community review for the Vale of Glamorgan was conducted in 2009 and therefore ordinarily the next community review would be due in 2019, however given that the LDBCW would be conducting the electoral review for the principal area commencing in April 2019, LDBCW had recommended that the community review be postponed. As the principal area review would not be concluded until December 2020, and both 2021 and 2022 were election years, it was proposed that the Vale of Glamorgan community reviewed its postponed to commence in June 2023. The LDBCW had indicated that they supported the proposed timescale.
Consultation with LDBCW regarding the timing of a community review was required to ensure that LDBCW had sufficient time to make any Orders that were consequent following a community review and that it would not have an adverse impact on the work LDBCW has programmed.
Attached at Appendix A to the report was the LDBCW’s Guidance for Principal Councils on the Review of Communities which would be followed when developing the project plan in advance of the proposed 2023
This was a matter for Executive decision
Cabinet, having considered the report and all the issues and implications contained therein.
(1) T H A T a full community review for the Vale of Glamorgan be commenced in June 2023 having regard to the timing of the Local Democracy and Boundary Commission for Wales’ principal area review for the Vale of Glamorgan and the need to avoid the risk of voter confusion during election years in 2021 and 2022.
(2) T H A T the Local Democracy and Boundary Commission for Wales and all other mandatory consultees be formally notified of the timescale for the next Vale of Glamorgan community review.
(3) T H A T a copy of the report be referred to the Community Liaison Committee and all Town and Community Councils in the Vale of Glamorgan for information.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To determine the commencement date of the community review.
(2) To advise parties in line with the Local Government (Democracy) (Wales) Act 2013.
(3) To apprise the Committee and Town and Community Councils.
Attached as Appendix – Report to Cabinet 30 APRIL 2018