Agenda Item No. 13
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Council Meeting 26th September 2018
Report of Section 151 Officer
Statement of Accounts 2017/18
Purpose of the Report
- To approve the Statement of Accounts and the Annual Governance Statement and agree the Final Letter of Representation for 2017/18.
- That the Letter of Representation to the Wales Audit Office for 2017/18 be noted and is agreed and signed and dated by the Mayor as Chairman of the Council.
- That the Annual Governance Statement (within the Statement of Accounts) for 2017/18 be approved and signed and dated by the Leader of the Council.
- That the Statement of Accounts for 2017/18 be approved and signed and dated by the Mayor as Chairman of the Council.
Reasons for the Recommendations
- That the signed representation letter is returned to the Wales Audit Office.
- That the Annual Governance Statement is signed and dated as required.
- That the Statement of Accounts be approved prior to the deadline.
- The Council's external auditors have completed the audit of the Council's Financial Statements for 2017/18 and amendments have been incorporated therein.
Relevant Issues and Options
2017/18 Statement of Accounts
- The 2017/18 Statement of Accounts and Annual Governance Statement will be considered by Audit Committee on 19th September and Council will be advised of their recommendations in respect of the 2017/18 Statement of Accounts.
- The Wales Audit Office requires the Authority to sign a final Letter of Representation which is attached at Appendix 1. I have consulted with the Monitoring Officer and appropriate officers in order that I can sign the said letter as Section 151 Officer.
- Under the Accounts and Audit Regulations, the Statement of Accounts must be approved before the 30th September and signed and dated by the Mayor as Chairman of the Council. The Statement of Accounts is attached at Appendix 2 at the back of the agenda.
- In addition the Annual Governance Statement needs to be formally approved by Council and signed and dated by the Leader of the Council. This statement is part of the Statement of Accounts and has already been considered and endorsed by the Audit Committee.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
- There are no implications.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
- None as a direct consequence of this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
- The Accounts and Audit (Wales) Regulations 2014 require the Council to prepare a Statement of Accounts for each financial year (with an Annual Governance Statement).
Crime and Disorder Implications
- There are no crime and disorder implications.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
- There are no equal opportunity implications.
- Provide sound financial management and reliable advice in relation to all issues affecting the Council including the production of the statutory accounts.
Policy Framework and Budget
- The proposals in this report need to be approved by Council.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
- The appropriate Chief Officers have been consulted on this report. This report does not require Ward Member consultation.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
- Corporate Performance and Resources
Monitoring Officer and other appropriate officers
Section 151 Officer