Agenda Item No. 6
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Welsh Church Act Estate Committee: 8th January 2018
Report of the Managing Director
Annual Report and Accounts 2016/17 Following the Independent Examination
Purpose of the Report
- To consider the Annual Report and Accounts following the completion of the independent examination as required by the Charities Act 2011 Section 162.
- That the Annual Report and Accounts 2016/17 following the completion of the independent examination by the appointed external auditor Wales Audit Office, as set out at Appendix A to this report be approved, and that the Chairman be authorised to sign the same on behalf of Trustees.
Reason for the Recommendation
- In accordance with the requirements of the Charities Act 2011, and the Charities (Accounts & Reports) Regulations 2008.
- The Charities (Accounts & Reports) Regulations 2008 require that the Annual Report and Accounts should be approved by the Trustees as a body in accordance with their normal administrative procedures.
Relevant Issues and Options
- The Annual Report and Accounts for the year ended 31st March 2017 is shown at Appendix A to this report.
- The accounts for the year ended 31st March 2017 were brought before Committee for approval on 11th October 2017 prior to the independent examination commencing.
- The independent examination of the accounts has now been completed and a number of minor amendments to the accounts have been made as set out below:
Amendment to a number of small roundings in the statements.
Separate presentation of short term investments of £8k on the balance sheet (previously included in the cash balance) and a corresponding amendment to the cash flow statement.
Adjustment to list of grants paid to include £1,000 paid to St. Paul's Church, Merthyr Dyfan which had been excluded in error.
Inclusion of two additional paragraphs detailing the basis of preparation of the accounts (page 7).
The inclusion of some clarifying information regarding the trustees of the Welsh Church Act Estate i.e. stating that they are Councillors of the Vale of Glamorgan Council (page 4).
Other small amendments which were largely presentational.
- These adjustments are reflected in the accounts included in Appendix A.
- Following these amendments Wales Audit Office has indicated that the Independent Examiner report will be issued and signed.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
- As indicated in the body of the report.
Sustainability and Climate Change implications
- There are no sustainability and climate change implications.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
- This report is submitted in accordance with the statutory requirements of the Charities Acts' 1993 and 2011 and the Charities (Accounts and Reports) Regulations 2008.
Crime and Disorder Implications
- The funding of the voluntary sector should assist in increasing social inclusion and reducing crime.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
- There are no equal opportunities implications.
- The sole concern of the Committee is to act in the best interest of the Trust.
Policy Framework and Budget
- Not applicable.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
- Not applicable.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Letters of application and grant application forms.
Gemma Jones, Principal Accountant
Directorate of Resources
Tel: 01446 709152
Rob Thomas, Managing Director