Cost of Living Support Icon

Disagreement and Resolution


If you think that your child has an ALN, the first step is to talk to your child’s teacher or ALNCO (Additional Learning Needs Co-ordinator). They are trained to provide information, advice and guidance on ALN.


If the school agrees with you that your child or young person has ALN, the school will work with you to create an IDP (Individual Development Plan). You as the parent will be invited to contribute to the content of the IDP.  It is important that you attend because you know your child best. An IDP is normally revised every 12 months or sooner if required.


If the school does not agree that your child has ALN, or you are not happy with the content of your child’s IDP.  In the first instance you will need to discuss this with the school. If you are still dissatisfied, then you can consider talking to your Local Authority to seek further advice. If the Local Authority agrees that your child has ALN, an IDP will be prepared or revised.


If the Local Authority agrees with the school and you are still unhappy, they can point you to Independent Advocacy Services, that supports families and young people to make informed choices on what to do next.


Right to Appeal

All children, their parents or carers and young people have the right to appeal to the Education Tribunal of Wales (ETW) against decisions. Their job is to hear and decide appeals about children with additional learning needs. Appeals can be made by you the parent/carer or the young person themselves. The ETW is independent of government, local authorities, schools and Further Education Institutions (FEIs). Its decisions are legally binding.


The Tribunal is also able to make decisions about a child’s ability to understand matters relating to the ALN system, including what it means to bring an appeal. The Tribunal can appoint a case friend to support the child or young person. A case friend is someone who will support your child through the tribunal process. Children and young people will be provided with information to access independent advocacy services.